Saturday, 27 October 2007

Visit to the homeland and half term crafting

Just back from a few days in Wales, visiting some friends near Swansea, an area which I know really well as we must have done thousands of days out at the seaside on the Mumbles and Gower coastline.

the children looking at the sea in Mumbles


This time, we went for the first time to the Wildfowl and Wetlands trust centre in Llanelli
which was a lovely day out. The children really enjoyed feeding the ducks, and my 4 year old little girl really got into the whole concept of sitting in a hide with binoculars.

a duck at the wildfowl and wetlands trust centre

half term crafting ...

Back to school this morning - so I'm back to being a solo parent by day as my husband is a teacher. Did wangle plenty of crafting time over half term, so I can't really complain. Here are a couple of items hot off the sewing machine - a retro apron and a Christmas stocking. The apron is a version of one I've made before, but this time I lined the pockets and interfaced the waistband.


A friend bought the first one I made soon after I listed it, but I had a bit of the yellow bird fabric left over and some yellow ric-rac, so I thought I'd make another one. I might get around to making an apron for myself one of these days.



This is the front side of the finished stocking. I'm really pleased with this. I'd drawn up a pattern and got ready to start last weekend, but found that the fabric I'd intended to use had a large number of flaws in it. Too late to take it back to the shop too, as I've had it a year after never getting around to making stockings last year! Luckily, I rediscovered this bottle green cotton in my stash and had great fun hand embellishing the finished stocking with sequins, bells and ribbon. I'm really after a star bead now for the top of the Christmas tree, so I must keep my eyes peeled.

The stocking is the first time I've done appliques in years - and this time with the help of iron-on stabiliser, which worked really well. Unfortunately I was a bit slapdash and didn't iron my fabrics before fusing the stabiliser to them, so I have big creases fused into one piece - oops! It's my favourite one too - the one used for the Christmas tree applique, so it's a shame I've wasted some of it. I'll just have to cut really carefully and try and salvage as much as possible while avoiding the creases.

I do love applique work though - have a few ideas now for applique children's totes and another skirt for my little girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...