Monday, 5 November 2007

The Christmas cake method of inducing labour ...

Had a lovely few days. I made my Christmas cake on Friday, having soaked my fruit in marsala overnight. I used the recipe from How to Be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson for the third year - it is the best Christmas cake recipe I've cooked and I am completely sold on it, though I have to say the TV programmes are not for me!


cake in progress

The small hand belongs to my daughter- I am not really an elf!

I actually first bought this book the day before my due-date for the birth of my daughter. I was absolutely convinced that as she was my first, I would be a fortnight late, and thought I'd while away the days baking. So I bought the book and the ingredients and put my dried fruit to soak overnight ready to bake the following day. I can't tell you how surprised I was when I woke up in the early hours of the following day as my waters broke! Spent the night in hospital and gave birth the following morning.

Suffice to say that fruit soaked for quite a lot longer than suggested in the recipe! In fact, the cake was cooked by my mother-in-law, but as I was completely exhausted I didn't actually get around to icing it that year. Instead the cake sat wrapped in foil in its airtight tub for a whole year!! Just goes to show how long fruit cake lasts - I just fed it a bit of brandy then marzipaned and iced it the following Christmas. So that's my tip for giving birth on your due date - never mind pineapple and curries! (Sorry to say that it didn't work next time round though - my son was a fortnight late, in spite of my tried and tested fruit cake method). It does make me smile at the memory every year when I start soaking that dried fruit - I've hung on to the receipt for the book and my shopping list as a memento in my baby book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...