Tuesday, 20 November 2007

Sleepless nights

It seems I was just tempting fate by saying that I hoped we'd have a nice illness-free weekend in my last post. Right on the back of my little boy's funny tummy he's had a nasty dose of croup. I was so glad my mother was staying with us as it was one of those occasions where I was pretty sure it sounded like croup (lots of wheezing and a sort of animal bark), but just wanted a back up diagnosis.

Three sleepless nights later and he's still not himself and has lost lots of his baby plumpness from hardly eating for a week. We're trying to steam up his room to ease the cough at night (hoping this might have the added bonus of stripping the horrible textured wallpaper off!) but other than that there's not much we can do. Here's hoping he's better soon.

Meantime, I've been having a crafting lull, just pottering away at a bit of knitting. I've been knitting a pair of long fingerless gloves for my sister for Christmas from Louisa Harding's Hats, Gloves, Scarves. I really like this book, on loan from the library and renewed several times already. The projects are all really straightforward, but are all very wearable. I did notice though that the reviewers on amazon are a bit divided on the book.

The gloves are knitted in RYC Cashsoft DK (not Cashmino as the book states - not sure whether this has been renamed or if it's an error) and Rowan Kidsilk Haze. Both are beautifully soft; it's the first time I've used Kidsilk Haze and I definitely want to buy more now to make a lacy scarf a bit like this one.



Here's one finished glove, complete with the velvet ribbon tie suggested in the pattern, which adds a really pretty touch. The other just needs to be sewn up and to have the ribbon threaded through.

I really like the style of these long gloves. Now that I've got my head round the shaping involved (this is the first pair of gloves I've knitted since I was about 12 years old!) I feel inspired to tackle another pair but to make up the pattern myself - I thought I'd make a pair of fingerless wristwarmers for my sister as she was saying she liked these the other day.

3 comments:

  1. hello angharad - I should have read this first before I left a flickr comment...duurrrr! Come to Reading soon for knit night - check out the http://outcastartists.blogspot.com/ for times x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do hope your little boy is better soon.

    I love the gloves!They are so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments.
    Alabama whirly - I promise that I'll make a knit night after Christmas. My life has just been a bit chaotic lately!

    Thanks for the get well wishes and the glove appreciation, Florence :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...