Monday, 28 January 2008

Knitting Gretel

I've been sneaking a few moments to work on my latest project today, whilst my little boy plays with his duplo. It's a lovely slouchy cabled beret called Gretel (lots of other fantastic patterns for sale and free patterns that I have my eye on too!).

I'm knitting it in Noro Cash Iroha in a sort of bluey grey shade, which is so pretty. It's my first time knitting cables in the round, but it's actually a lot more straightforward than I anticipated (though it remains to be seen how straightforward I find knitting cables in the round whilst chatting when I go to my first knit night this week!). My main headache was figuring out how to do the tubular cast on method, but luckily there is a video tutorial provided on the website. I watched it once through, then picked up my needles and joined in, and it turned out to be really easy!

Not much left to do now, and I've already got a waiting list of knitting projects thanks to ravelry. I joined a few weeks ago, and although I haven't explored the site that much yet, I have a steadily growing list of projects that I have my eye on. Such a fantastic resource! It's great to read people's notes on their adaptations, difficulties, yarn choices, etc. I've also been looking at yarndex quite a lot as I never seem to be able to find (or sometimes afford!) the suggested yarns for different projects, so it's great to be able to search for substitutes by gauge.

I seem to be embarking on a bit of a knitting phase at the moment as I've been feeling a little under the weather, and curling up with my knitting on the sofa has been a lot more tempting that sitting at the dining table with my sewing machine over the weekend. My sewing machine is at the ready, though, sitting in its box looking most decorative near the plastic boxes of duplo in my living room!

5 comments:

  1. ah - I've been eyeing up that gretel for a while now - look forawrd to seeing the finished version. I seem to be in a knitting phase too - I find it is abit more sociable in the evenings, but maybe it's just down to ravelry - that site does rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just starting to knit, first project is a scarf as there doesn't seem to be too much I can do wrong with that! Love the Urchin Beret, I might have a go at that next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh those cables look lovely, much too hard for me tthough, I'm strictly a knit stitch only kind of knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really want to learn how to knit but haven't got the faintest clue where to start ... any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, annieb, especially when it's dark so early - it's nice to just settle down with a bit of knitting. And ravelry really does rock!

    I think urchin is really cute too, french_knots - it's on my to-do list!

    The cables aren't as hard as they seem, driftwood. You sort of get into a rhythm once you get going. I think I'd have found it difficult as a first project knitting in the round though, with the extra cable needle involved!

    marmaladekiss - you should have a look at the Debbie Bliss 'How to Knit' book, or one of the stitch and bitch ones. If you try your local library they're sure to have one. I'd also recommend Claire Crompton's Knitter's Bible for really clear instructions and lots of straightforward projects.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...