Saturday, 5 January 2008

Meatballs and moleskines

Today's been a day of jobs - popping into town for a few necessities, a bit of tidying here and there, and taking down the Christmas tree. It's amazing - it's like the walls have been pushed back and we've gained half a room. Maybe our tree was slightly large for the living space ...



I finished that moleskine organiser from yesterday's post this morning. Linen is so lovely to sew, and it looks so lovely and crisp when you press it. The organiser has a large sleeve for a moleskine, two pen holders, a divided card pocket and a further linen pocket for other bits and pieces. It's gone straight into my shop, but I'm definitely going to make another for myself. A couple of friends are moleskine lovers too, so I think I might be making a few of these as gifts.


This afternoon, I have been making meatballs*, a job which I truly loathe. All that mashing up of minced meat, grating of onions, chopping parsley, soaking bread in milk and then finally the messy bit of shaping the balls in your hands. Yuck.

I always do a huge batch as it's such a chore, which maybe makes the task worse ... a kilo of mince makes a whole lot of meatballs! Still, it's all in a good cause. I have a very fussy 2 year old (was lulled into a false sense of security by my 4 year old who will eat anything, so the fussiness is a bit of a shock!) who hates chewing, meat, most other sources of protein, etc, etc. They've been slow cooking in the oven for an hour and half now and they do smell good, so hopefully they'll be eaten! This is the second outing for my new Le Creuset casserole dish, which I've coveted for ages and which we were given for Christmas by my father-in-law.

Fingers crossed the meatballs go down well as the freezer's going to be full of them!


*similar recipe here, though my version is with beef mince and is slow-cooked in the oven

9 comments:

  1. Helen, that is gorgeous - I love the colours - the little ribbon, the dots, the button and then the simplicity of the linen! Isn't it lovely when a project works out so perfectly! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book recommendation - I'm going to add that to my Amazon Wishlist - love the title too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind comments, Florence! The moleskine organiser is one of my new favourites, and I have a couple more projects in the works in the same fabrics.
    You must read 'It's hard to be hip over thirty' - it's fantastic, wry and very readable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! I love linen teamed with cotton prints too - it just makes them pop.

    Have to disagree about making meatballs though - I really like it! Maybe I'm just weird...

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's gorgeous! I want one

    I made a lavender and rice hotbag for my sister for christmas in linen and a print and I really loved working with the combination too

    (love your blog, have added you to my blogroll and I will be back)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, joleo and annieb! I have a bit of a thing about linen and bright prints together at the moment.

    You like making meatballs, joleo? So much mess!

    annieb - lavender and rice hotbags sound lovely! I will be popping over to your blog to see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love your organiser, it looks perfect! Re meatballs, I find making them quite fun, reminds me of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness, this is super cute - I love your colour combo choices, so yum!
    Melx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, two hippos and melissa! I'm planning a couple more of these in different fabrics, though I do love this combination.

    I am starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong with the meatballs, as everyone else seems to love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...