Friday, 21 March 2008

Tagged!

edited to add a photo of the vegetables for yesterday's soup at lunchtime!

I've been tagged by Jo at Today we are to write a post about my blogging. I was just thinking as I sat down to write this that I'm really new to blogging, but I've just looked back and realised that I started this blog in October 07, which means I'm heading for 6 months as a blogger, and almost on my 50th post! So here are the questions which I have to answer (you can see Jo's answers here).

1. Why did you start your blog?

I’ve crafted forever, for as long as I can remember – I was the queen of the craft kit as a child, pyrography kit, quilling materials, a fisher price loom, earring-making – you name it! Most of all though, I’ve always loved knitting and sewing. After a bit of a fallow spell through my university years, I rediscovered knitting and sewing for my two children (now 4 and 2). My husband gave me a sewing machine for my 30th birthday, which really kickstarted my resolve to sew. I’d been bag making for a little while when I discovered Lisa at U-handbag’s fantastic bag making website and blog, which was probably the main spur for me to start an etsy shop in August 07. On the back of this, I thought I’d try blogging, mainly as a motivational tool to keep me sewing so that I’ll have something to post about, but also because I’ve so enjoyed reading the blogs of others and it’s nice to feel part of a blogging community.


2. How did you come up with your blog name?

My blog name arose from my etsy shop name, Angharad, which is actually my middle name. I think it’s probably a bit more interesting than my first name, Helen! My blog was Angharad Crafts for about 2 days, before I settled on Angharad Handmade as it felt like it had a nicer ring to it.


3. Do your friends and family know about your blog? What do they think of it?

I’ve mentioned taking photos for my blog just in passing to friends and family, but no more than that, and I don’t think any of them have actually seen it! That’s with the exception of my husband and children. My children, particularly my 4 year old daughter, find it incredibly amusing that I might take photos of our lunch for my blog (actually my husband is likewise amused by this!). Other than taking a slightly perverse interest in my ‘7 weird things about me’ post, I don’t think my husband has seen this blog! That’s fine by me though – I have a feeling I would get ribbed endlessly by my family if they read my ramblings!


4. How do you write posts?

I just log in and type away. Usually there’s a photo of some kind to share in the post, which is what I’ll start with. My style (ha!) is rambling away, with very little editing unless I find an ungrammatical sentence (though I probably don’t even notice my own mistakes for the most part).


5. Have you ever had a troll or had to delete unkind comments?

Luckily, so far, no! I have had a couple of those spammy ‘Look here and here’ comments which I’ve deleted straight away!


6. Do you check your stats? Do you care how many people read your blog? If you do care, how to you increase traffic?

When I first discovered stats I was hooked for a few days – it’s so amazing, in particular, to see people coming to my blog from far away locations! I also keep a vague eye on my subscriber totals – it’s always nice to see the figure going up, and I try not to get disheartened when the total goes down! I don’t actively seek to increase traffic, though I do post links to my blog on my flickr photos if it’s something I’ve blogged about.


7. What kind of blogs/posts interest you?

I love reading crafting blogs, especially those where you get a glimpse of the personality of the author. I am a sucker for tutorials – it’s great that other’s share their skills and ideas so freely. I hope I’ll be able to share a tutorial or two of my own as a step towards being a fully-fledged crafting blogger! My sidebar has a list of the blogs which I read which I’m currently adding to.


8. What do you like and dislike about blogging?

Most of all I love getting comments from people who have read my blog – this is the nicest and most unexpected part of blogging for me. It’s lovely to have regular readers who pop in to say hello, as well as new readers, and people just passing through who stop to comment. I also love the fact that my blogging keeps me crafting – I love the feedback I get on new designs through my blog.

As for what I don’t like – so far so good! I can’t think of anything to say, other than maybe my self-consciousness sometimes about putting my own thoughts and makes out there. Sometimes I feel that the photographs of my lunch are much less interesting than the photos of other people’s lunches that I’ve seen!

I'll pass this on to AnnieB at Overmilkwood, Two Hippos, and Driftwood, if they'd like to join in the self-reflexive blogging!

5 comments:

  1. interesting one...I feel a period of navel gazing coming up!

    thanks for the details of your craft fair in the summer...it is in my diary and I will try to come along - sounds lovely and would be great to put a face to your name too

    X
    ps I am a subscriber to your blog and you won't be seeing my number drop off any time now, I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was lovely to read Helen - I particularly like your anxiety of not having interesting enough lunches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks AnnieB and Joleo for your kind comments! AnnieB - it would be lovely to see you in June if you can make it! Jo - it's true - everyone else's food looks so much nicer than mine - I need to raise my game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely to read your tag Helen, thanks for passing it on, I shall have fun taking some lunch photos to decorate it with, although as we are going to the in-laws tomorrow they may all be pub lunch photos........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Helen, just thought I'd pop by and say I'm new here but will definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...