Sunday, 9 March 2008

Why I should not sew on Sunday evenings ...


I really thought it was a good idea. I was going to make a little photo holder, handbag sized, for photos of my children. I'm always embarrassed, and feel rather inadequate, when other mums are able to whip out photos of their children (and recent ones!) on request and I have nothing to show. I must be a very bad mother as I don't have any photos in my bag. I do have two in my violin case (since being shamed by other mums with photos of their children in their violin cases!), but they were taken well over a year ago and so are in need of updating. So cue the handmade mini photo album.

I bought these Amy Butler prints months ago, and have been hanging on to them wondering what to make till I hit on this project. I could picture it perfectly in my head - lovely crisp edges and contrast pink topstitching, a bright pink ribbon tie. Oh well - it wasn't to be, apparently. Maybe this is a lesson to me not to try and make things on the hoof on a Sunday evening.



Looks a bit sorry for itself, doesn't it! I didn't even bother sewing closed the turning gap to finish it as it was clearly a lost cause. I'm going to revisit this project though, as there are aspects of it I'm quite pleased with. It's just the overall construction that was off - too many layers, I think. Plus the vinyl didn't enjoy being turned right side out and has gone crinkly (the photo seems to disguise this a bit, but it's really bad in the flesh!).

It's good to learn from your mistakes. It's just nicer to learn by getting things right first time!

9 comments:

  1. I've had so many similar experiences with the Amy Butler Duck Egg Frenchwallpaper print that I'm wondering if it's that fabric! I abandonned a very similar project in that print only last week! Hope you've had a lovely weekend otherwise. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You used some really lovely fabrics, it may not look so lost this morning. On more than one occassion I have been known to scream and through items from the sewing machine straight into the bin out of shere frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a really lovely idea, I hope that maybe a second attempt will be more succesful. or unpick that one completely and start again?
    xxx
    I was sewing last night, and cut my finger and bled all over something I'd spent ages making.... you're right sunday nights should just be for relaxing and eating chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awh - was a great idea though, and lovely fabric...second time lucky perhaps

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps there was something in the air yesterday because my sewing just wouldn't go right either. I know what you mean about learning from mistakes but sometimes I can't be bothered!

    better luck with the next attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you rescue it this morning? If not at least you'll know how to get the next one in shape. Lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Girl, I've been reading your blog for awhile now, and I recently started a blog of my own. I added a link to your page, and I was just making sure it was fine with you. :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like my amy butler fabric is jinxed too, Florence!
    Thanks, everyone for the comments - it's nice to know I'm not alone in having crafting disasters!

    Kate - thanks for asking and for linking to my blog.I'd love to see yours if you can give me the link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So here's a question - well, two, actually - do you have other rules about sewing, along the lines of this one - "never sew when you're tired", and, where did you get the pattern/instructions for the photo frame, because I'd love to give that a try (but only on a Saturday afternoon!)

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...