Friday, 18 April 2008

Four things meme

I've been tagged by the lovely Florence to do this 4 things meme. So here goes ...

4 movies I'd watch again:

Pretty in Pink - I don't know how many times I've watched this film, but it's a lot! The 80s soundtrack, which I have in my CD collection, is really fantastic.

Romeo and Juliet - I loved this film along with Moulin Rouge and Strictly Ballroom, also directed by Baz Luhrman. I also own the soundtrack to this one!

Labyrinth - We watched this as a family 101 times when I was growing up. My own children are not quite old enough to see it yet, but I'm really looking forward to watching it with them one of these days.

Un Air de famille - I first saw this film when I lived in France and bought the video a couple of years later. Such a fantastic film with an all-star cast - I would watch this right now, except we no longer have a video player!

I've found it really hard to narrow these films down to just 4 - there are loads of others that I will watch again, but I've just put down here the ones that I have already watched obsessively 20 times over!


4 places I've lived:

Slough, England - It doesn't have the best name, it must be said. I don't think Betjeman helped when he wrote
Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough
It isn't fit for humans now
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

Oxford - I spent 3 really happy years living here as a student.



South Wales - I grew up in the South Wales valleys, living there till the age of 18.

Brittany in Northern France – I lived here for a year as part of my first degree course. A fantastic year - lots of walks on the beaches of the pink granite coast, moules frites and pain aux raisins! I lived in Brelevenez, Lannion, right behind the church in this picture. I climbed those 142 steps each day to go to work.




4 tv shows I watch:
Dr Who - I've always loved this programme! I'm really enjoying the new pairing of David Tennant as the Doctor and Catherine Tate as his assistant.

Strictly Come Dancing - brilliant family viewing! My daughter gets a reprieve on her usual 7 o'clock bedtime during each series as she's such a big fan.

The Box of Delights - this one is a bit of a cheat as it's about 20 years old, but I remember watching this as a child. I bought my husband the DVD a few years ago, and we love to watch this in the run up to Christmas. The theme tune music is so evocative!

Ugly Betty - can't wait till the next series begins!

4 places I've been (okay, so I haven’t actually travelled beyond
Europe, but these are some of the favourite places I’ve been to):
Pompeii - I'd wanted to visit Pompeii for years as I studied Latin using the Cambridge Latin Course textbooks at school, which focused on a family from Pompeii (by coincidence, the latest Dr Who episode featured this family - Caecilius, Metella and Quintus). It was amazing to see how well-preserved the town is. Here's a snap of the little theatre, which we came upon deserted at the end of the afternoon.

Barcelona - I spent a few days here with my mother before either of my children were born (which seems like a whole different era now!). I would love to go here again one day to look again at all the architecture by Gaudi and to eat tapas!

Paris - I've been here quite a few times, but not for about 5 years now! I'd love to go on a shopping trip for fabric sometime in the near future. And also to sit in cafes, naturally!
Prague - What a beautiful city! My trip here will always be especially memorable as I was 16 weeks pregnant with my little girl when we went, and I felt her move for the first time during our visit.


4 things to eat:

Tartiflette - I discovered this dish while living in France. Made with reblochon cheese, cream, potatoes and lardons (bacon), baked in the oven, it's real winter comfort food.

Roast beef dinner - my favourite. I cooked this when my in-laws visited yesterday. Roast beef, roast potatoes and parsnips, yorkshire puddings and at least 3 veg with gravy. Yum!

Steak and chips - but my husband also makes a mean steak sandwich (from Nigel Slater's Real Food)

Galettes - another obsession after living in France. They're savoury pancakes made with buckwheat flour. My favourite is the complete - with ham, egg and cheese filling.



4 places I'd rather be :

the Maldives - I could never see the point of those relaxed, lying-in-a-hammock kind of holidays until I had children. Now, this is my ultimate dream after a long day mopping up spilled drinks and worse!

For the same reasons as above, I quite fancy going to this spa in Bath - my sister went recently and loved it. Bath is such a beautiful city anyway, visited many a time on school Latin trips!

That's it, really. I don't really long to be anywhere else at the moment.


4 things to look forward to:

The Summer holidays - we're off to Tenby for a week by the seaside.

A day out in London tomorrow with my mum and sister

My birthday at the end of the month

doing up our bathroom sometime in the next 3 years!



4 people to tag:

Charlotte at Displacement Activity, TwoHippos, debsmuddle and driftwood.

7 comments:

  1. What interesting answers - you have lived in some really lovely places.

    Oh, how I adored Pretty in Pink too - perfection! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to know I'm not the only Dr Who fan.

    I thought Pompeii was incredible. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

    (I like the explanations you've given for your choices. I might have to edit my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Labyrinth. I first saw it when I was really young,I loved all the little creatures.

    Pompeii would be a really cool place to visit. Neat to see things you only see in books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi this was fun to read, and thanks for the tag, I've done a similar one, so I might adapt it a bit if that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too loved Pretty in Pink, I think the video wore out! Great answers, Pompeii is a place we would like to visit. Thanks for the tag, I will have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that 'doing up the bathroom' is on your things to look forward to list....sigh! We have been doing up our bathroom for the last year...and we are just getting the cabit put in...very frustrating...it will never end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh Pretty in Pink - me too.
    May I admire you?

    I still have the 7" of the soundtrack, and read the book too - did you know the book had a different ending?

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...