Wednesday, 2 April 2008

Summer in the City


Okay, so it's hardly Summer yet (today's weather was distinctly wintry!) and I don't live in a city, but I have finished that quilt I've been working on. The fabrics are all from the Summer in the City line by Urban Chiks; I purchased a yard of a couple of the fabrics last Summer and I've been eking them out in various projects as they are too pretty to use willy-nilly.


I really enjoyed this project from start to finish. Quilt-making seems to be very compatible with my fragmented crafting time – 30 minutes here, an hour there, stop for a week, start again – as it’s easily divided into lots of quick stages. I got to use my walking foot again, which has made a world of difference to my quilting. Instead of cowboying the project as I did with my first quilt, made for my daughter, I took the time to read up a bit on how to do it properly. My daughter's quilt was a made-up-as-I-went-along amalgam of English piecing, applique and freestyle (and not in a good way) quilting. This time, though, I turned to the experts and a mix of books and tutorials for tips here and there.

Here's my quilting reading list:
Heather Bailey's blog tutorial on binding a quilt
The Complete Book of Patchwork, Quilting and Applique by Linda Seward
Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colourful Quilt and Patchwork Projects


The fabrics are just sooo pretty! And best of all, I still have a few offcuts left over to make into another quilt.

I'll be back soon with that napkin set tutorial, which is currently a work in progress ...

8 comments:

  1. this is so beautiful...wow! and thank you for the links to your guides in the affair...being a natural cowboy myself and knowing I need to combat that I may well follow your lead and consult some of them before tackling my next quilting project

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. I think I need a walking foot. By the way, I hope you found your ring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. And thank you for the links too - I'd love to tackle a quilting project but have no idea where to start. And since I know the feeling of fabric being too pretty to waste on just anything I know I'd want to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt looks really beautiful! You managed to choose the outer fabric in the end then. That walking foot sounds really useful - not sure if I've got one of those with my machine or not, but I sure could do with one as I always have trouble with multiple layers. Could you post a pic of your one in your flickr?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous quilt, I just love the fabrics! One question, do you order your fabrics direct from the USA?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SUCH a cheerful quilt. I really must take my sewing machine out of the box...I bought it a year ago...EEK!! Your quilt has really great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your lovely comments!

    AnnieB - I'm glad I'm not the only cowboy out there! I'm always so careful with things made for others, but I tend to get over speedy with sewing for my own family!

    marmaladekiss - no sign of that ring as yet - the bathroom floor is going to have to come up!

    joleo- quilting is so much fun! I think I've got the bug now.

    clothcat - I've uploaded some pictures to my flickr with a few notes to show how the walking foot works. It's my favourite accessory at the moment.

    twohippos - yes, I order most of my fabrics from the states. I'm going to write a new post with some links in it in case you're interested.

    raining sheep - thanks! And good luck with your machine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this is an old post, but I love this quilt, and this fabric! I have some of it, and I totally agree with your comment, "I've been eking them out in various projects as they are too pretty to use willy-nilly."

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...