Saturday, 24 May 2008

A happy accident

I should know better by now than to start a new project after a week of sleepless nights with a small boy who's cutting his molars, but I really wanted to play around with this velvet damask I bought from U-handbag a little while ago that's been sitting idle in my stash. I drew up a pattern for a clutch with a pleated front which I thought suited the velvet fabric as it's a bit more dressy than my usual cotton prints.

So just as I'm feeling really pleased with how it's turned out, and how the front pleated panel and the non-pleated interior actually match up, I realise that I've totally forgotten to insert the magnetic snap closure. There was no way I was going to rip the whole thing up after basting through 2 layers (and I never normally baste anything!), sewing, then topstitching! So after about 30 minutes trying to track down sew-in magnetic fasteners on the internet, then realising they wouldn't quite work either, I remembered this chocolate brown ribbon I had sitting in a box upstairs. Ta da! A pretty floppy bow closure, which I think fits in really well with the slightly puffy pleated front of the bag.

I've now got 2 more of these cut out in a pretty lilac embroidered fabric, but I need to shop for some ribbon to match before I can sew them! Isn't there always just one more thing that's needed before you can complete a project? I dare say it's a good thing though - after the knock on effect of the magnetic snap/ribbon saga, I didn't get to bed till gone midnight last night. Probably best I stay away from the machine this evening!

14 comments:

  1. It is gorgeous! It was a happy accident indeed.
    And you are right: there is ever ever something missing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.
    This is beautiful!
    Gorgeous fabric, and what a lovely idea for the fastening!
    It really looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. I love reading your blog and have tagged you. I hope you don't mind. I saw where you were tagged a month or so again, but these questions are different. Check out my blog for the rules and questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful accident. I think the purse looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabric you have used - and yes its always the way that you have one thing missing - and the project can't proceed without it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute clutch! A really lucky accident too, as the ribbon looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well saved! A very stylish bag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks lovely, better than it would with a simple snap I think. happy days : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously cool little bag...something like this would be perfect for a christmas party or some other dressy event. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely bag! serendipity at its best.
    nice fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful!
    Just perfect for a special occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is a very happy accident, I got myself confused whilst reading your blog and thought it was called u-shaped handbag - that is the fault of sleepless nights too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the comments! I really wish I'd bought more of this fabric now, as ever. I do have a bit of a thing about ribbon!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...