Sunday, 1 June 2008

Half term getaway


I'm really not the gushing type, but I have to say I was completely bowled over by the surprise my husband sprung on me this half term. On Wednesday morning I received a letter with the heading 'this is not a circular'. Of course my immediate reaction is to walk towards the recycling bin as I read through it thinking it's a piece of junk mail. I found myself wondering which organisation had passed on the fact I was a 'homemaker' along with my name and address, and then the phone number at the bottom of the page caught my eye - my husband's mobile number! Maybe I'm not that bright, but it took another few minutes before I twigged what was going on - at first I thought it was one of those phone scams where people run up hundreds of pounds on your mobile number!


Suffice to say it wasn't a scam at all, but my husband's master plan to whisk me away to Bath for a night! His line is that if I was working I'd be getting some kind of annual bonus or perks, so this was his way of treating me to reward me for staying at home and looking after the children. My mother and sister were in on the surprise. My mum kindly looked after the children overnight (they didn't seem to be in the slightest bit perturbed by us disappearing for 24 hours in spite of my worries). It was my sister who recommended the thermae spa as she'd been there before Christmas (I know for a fact that my husband read my blog post where I said I'd love to go there but apparently he has no recollection of this!).



I had the most lovely time! We stayed in the Queensberry hotel, a lovely boutique hotel near to the Circus, within a few minutes walk of the centre of Bath. It was lovely to just wander the streets in the afternoon at our own pace, though we both kept on harking back to what the children would like! We took lots of pictures of these pigs (some of the many which are dotted around the city as part of the King Bladud's pigs art event) for their amusement.






In the evening, we had a fantastic meal in the Hole in the Wall - I had sorrel, spinach and potato soup followed by rib-eye steak with shallots, watercress and dauphinoise potatoes and my husband had a smoked chicken salad on little gem lettuce followed by pork with a mustard and leek mash. All delicious, and such a lovely place to eat too - normally I'm terrified by eating in small restaurants as I feel a bit too visible, but this one had a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Relaxed atmosphere also helped by the bottle of red wine, no doubt!

The spa was amazing. I'm an inherently unrelaxed person - always itching to pick up some knitting needles, fretting about whether or not a seam finish is quite perfect enough and generally unable to switch off - so this was the perfect place to take me. It was so lovely just to lie back and float in the lovely warm waters looking over the rooftops of Bath, with beautiful views of the cathedral even with storm clouds looming. And of course the Latin geek in me was thrilled to be enjoying the spa waters as the Romans did.

I feel utterly spoiled and indulged to have had this treat sprung on me by my lovely husband! It's very rare for us to go out together since having the children - it seems somehow churlish to ask visiting family to babysit our sleeping children so we can go out - so it was really nice to spend some time together, much as I've never wanted to be one of those people who's always longing to escape from their children.

What with this little getaway, family visits and meeting up with friends, I've done no sewing whatsoever over half term - and really, I'm not complaining!

21 comments:

  1. Ah, you are SO lucky and your husband is SO romantic. Do you mind if I show this post to my hubby?? ;>

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lucky lady! I think I need to introduce your husband to mine to give him some tips! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. he is amazing - where did you find him? That all sounds so wonderful and he is right, you do deserve a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Top hubby!! Does he give seminars? Because I know a certain someone who could use a little assistance...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a romantic! And Bath - well, could it get any more perfect?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely! glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh it sounds gorgeous, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Helen! How absolutely lovely. It all sounds utterly perfect and so thoughtful. What a wonderful man you have. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds totally blissful - what a sweet and romantic man you married!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow - how lovely! i'm curious to know what was in the 'how to claim' paragraph that was cropped ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow - how lovely! i'm curious to know what was in the 'how to claim' paragraph that was cropped ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh how nice. Bath is such a lovely place to go for a romantic weekend. (did you find any fabric shops) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is sooooo sweet!! That wins the prize for both originality and thought. Glad you had a great time, the pics are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that's lovely. And I'm so glad you got to the spa - did you get into the steam rooms? I got trapped in there, sampling all four different smells trying to pick a favourite. Amazing how it can take over the mind so completely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely idea - well done to your hubby for coming up with that!
    I'm trying to figure out when I can use up my dinner b&b that I won at local show recently - just too busy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, just to let you know that the Amazon sale is ON again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorably sweet story. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds like a lovely treat! we lived in Bath for 6 years and I miss it loads :(
    What did you think of the steam rooms? I couldn't sit in them for long, I'm such a wimp!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this should be compulsory reading for all husbands :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...