Saturday, 30 August 2008

Cake Off!



Well I do like a good swap and I also like cake, so the Cake-Off organised by yumptatious seemed like the ideal package. Cake by post - what a truly inspired concept! I was partnered with Maggz, who sent me a package choc-full of different kinds of cake. Just look at that plateful, which just shows a couple of pieces of each of the four cakes - a ginger and date cake, chocolate brownies, tablet and a fruit cake. Mmmm. Needless to say, my crack team of cake testers, consisting of my husband, my 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son, were happy to take on the task of helping me to eat all the cake! Thanks, Maggz, you are a truly excellent baker!



Above, you an see what I sent Maggz in return - a honey-glazed bara brith, and a syrupy lemon cake loaf. It was quite amusing to be posting a huge parcel, still warm from the oven! If the post office lady was surprised, she said nothing - maybe a lot of people post warm parcels?

I've now resolved to do a bit more baking around here - apart from anything else, I feel it's my duty as an expat Welsh girl bringing up my children in England to make sure that 'bara brith' is part of my children's cultural vocabulary. The recipe I linked to above is a classic one - though I would personally ignore the bit about the Cheddar (maybe it's a North Walian thing - I'm a South Wales valleys girl!). You just slice it as thinly as possible and butter it with salted butter. Yum. My children should definitely grow up eating this!

10 comments:

  1. A swap cake? What a funny idea!
    All look..hummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious. Your passion for the butter came through in this post too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just sitting here dribbling! I am a useless baker and all cakes I make have to be eaten with your eyes closed, otherwise you wouldn't go near the thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun idea, and your cakes look gorgeous, and how lovely to make cultural cakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great idea...regrettably I sent something to someone in the UK as a little cheer-her-up gift and it took two months from Canada...I would have to send something like fruit cake in a jar of rum, by the time it got there it would be properly infused :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, what a good idea! We have been baking a bit around here. I have just come back from North Wales and we tried the bara brith. Very yummy indeed, although I didn't quite taste the Chedda.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea- all those delicious cakes are making me feel hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you wrap a cake to arrive safely? My son would cry if I posted cakes to people - he wouldn't leave the biscuit tin at home as a small child. Want one of those Bara Brith cakes - it would go so nicely with a cup of tea ummmmmm! I can just taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Wow!
    That sounds like a fun idea. I LOVE lemon cake. It always goes well with a nice cup of tea. I wonder if post men can smell them from the packet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helen - I saw your lovely ribbon&tweed bag on Kyoko's latest post and thought I would stop by to tell you how pretty it is. And the cake swap idea is great - they look really yummy. It's probably a good thing that you have a testing team to spread those calories around! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...