Tuesday, 5 August 2008

Catching up

Well, back from holidays and starting to catch up with everything. I've just worked my way through my bloglist in google reader today - well over 200 posts to read! Thanks to everyone who's popped in and commented on my blog while I've been away. Also, thanks to Méri, who nominated me for the 'brillante weblog' award. Do pop over to have a look at her blog - I really like these embroidered bags she's been working on recently.

The rules state that I should pass the award on to 7 inspiring blogs, though I notice from all my catch up reading that a lot of the blogs I read seem to have done this one already. So I'll just point you in the direction of the blog list in my sidebar - all fantastic and inspiring crafty blogs! (on my to-do list for the Summer is updating this list to add in some other great blogs I've started reading lately).

I've been keeping myself busy, in spite of a lack of internet access during our holiday. Lots of knitting (the sewing machine was never going to fit in the car!) to while away the evenings in the caravan. I thought I'd give some socks a go - the pattern (International Sock of Doom) chosen to use up some RYC cashsoft DK I had in my stash.


I've only ever knitted socks on tiny needles before, so it was such a pleasure to race through these on 3.75 mm dpns! These will be a Christmas gift for one of the male members of my family (as yet undecided), in fact, I may make more for all the male members of my family. Would that be strange? The rib pattern is nice and easy to do, and I liked the fact that it alternated between two different rows to stop the monotony of plain rib.


I also got to work on this beret. After the disaster of my giant Gretel, which I still haven't summoned up the energy to rip back and alter, I saw this hat on Florence's blog a while ago and added it to my ravelry queue. This is also worked in RYC cashsoft, 4ply this time. It's knitted on two needles, rather than in the round, and is a nice slouchy (though not too slouchy!) shape. I omitted the bobble from the top on the grounds that I didn't think I could carry it off!


In spite of the best efforts of the nice lady from John Lewis, my Debbie Bliss cotton didn't get here before I left, though I did come back to find it waiting for me, along with the 2 balls originally ordered from another online supplier. So straight back to work today, and I've completed the intarsia panel on the front of my boy's jumper, after wrangling with several bobbins and balls of yarn.

Can you tell what it is yet?

I'm saving the rest of this one for when we visit my in-laws next week - though being a natural speed-merchant, I am finding it hard to put it aside now it's almost finished!

9 comments:

  1. Hi! Its me again. I just want to say that I love the beret. I might make one for my Mum.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I recognised that hat when I saw it on Flickr just now - you look lovely in it, and I asked that my mother-in-law omit the pom-pom too...just a little too girlish I think.

    The pirate jumper is looking fantastic.

    So pleased that you had a lovely holiday and I enjoyed your pictures of it. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I become obsessed too when I'm in the middle of a knitting project and find myself getting all twitchy if I have to put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to be adopted into your family please so I can have those socks for Christmas : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh! I like the look of that jumper! I wish I could knit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those socks. Love them...I need to try knitting socks on larger needles too..I have this amazing cashmere and want to use it for bed socks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!
    The jumper in the last photo is so cool! Is that your own pattern?
    I like knitting with cashsoft too. It is such a nice yarn. have you been to John Lewis for the new Rowan stuff? they are really nice. You are very organised for the christmas gift. I should really start knitting for Wesley too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good you had such a good holiday and the pictures are great!
    Did you start knitting season?
    Still too hot for me...i love the hat and the jumper and the socks :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...