Friday, 21 November 2008

knitting time


After being chained to my sewing machine for weeks on end preparing for the craft fair, it's a nice change of pace to turn to some knitting for a change. I've just finished this pair of Fetching fingerless mitts in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran - they're so cosy as knitting them on 4mm needles instead of 5mm makes the fabric really dense and snug. I actually made 3 gloves, but ended up with a pair - the first was begun at the South Hill Park craft fair after a quick tutorial in the magic loop method from knithappens - thank you, I will never look back! - but I made a mistake very early on. I thought I could live with it, and finished and cast off the glove, but it was really bothering me, so I ripped the whole thing and started again. Luckily, they're so quick to knit I knitted another two in a couple of evenings. Finally I've made a start on my Christmas knitting!

Next on the list is a lace ribbon scarf made with this gorgeous sock yarn called 'firecracker' that I bought from Skein Queen at the craft fair. The photo doesn't do the colours justice - just think 'firecracker' and lots of bright reds and oranges. You can also see the fairisle handwarmers I bought from Emma - I had my eye on these from the moment they were laid out on our stall - I love the green and grey colour combination. Emma's knitwear is just stunning, she was even featured in Selvedge this month so is properly famous!


There will be a lot of knitting and sewing around here for the next few weeks as I catch up with a backlog of Christmas crafting!

13 comments:

  1. Your mittens are gorgeous Helen. There seems to be a lot of mitten knitting going on in blogland at the moment. I'm making up pairs for family presents, but have chosen a really basic pattern to get through so many! I really love the ones you have made though and may make myself a pair after Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lace ribbon scarf looks great, my problem is English instructions...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Fetching on my ravelry list, I thought they might be a god way to teach myself cable. Yours look lovely and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely lovely knitting Helen. I hope to get some done once I've finished the backlogs of custom stockings I have to sew...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magic loop rules forever!
    I love the firecracker as well, that will look wonderful knitted up

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the mittens. I've heard of the magic loop, but haven't tried it yet, sound interesting.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen - I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THOSE GLOVES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen - Lovely mittens you made. I am really impressed that your pair got cables on them. Chloe Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  9. A huge congratulations to your success in your craft show!!! The mittens are beautiful. I love the colour and the way the cable goes all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your fingerless mits so cosy in this cold wet weather. The fairisle hand-warmers are beautiful, I love fair-isle but have a total inability and lack of confidence to knit such a complicated pattern. What is magic loop method? Will have to pop over to Knithappens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made two pairs of Fetching, and am in love with them both! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the fingerless mits - and I love the look of that Firecracker yarn, such beautiful deep colour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I just chickened out of starting that pattern - I went with a plain pattern, instead. Still, if it goes well I might get up the courage. Yours look lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...