Monday, 5 January 2009

Happy New Year

Ystradfellte, Wales

What happened to Christmas? I've finally emerged from the throes of a nasty winter bug to find it's been and gone without me taking much notice. And there was me confidently thinking I would spend less time asleep this year! Stunned to find I've entered the new year half a stone lighter without the usual Christmas indulgence. Oh well, I guess I'd better get started on that toblerone in the kitchen cupboard then, purely medicinal of course ... There's also that Christmas cake waiting to be iced, which I'm sure I'll make short work of.

It was lovely to spend the best part of the holidays with family, who did a stirling job of providing festive fun and entertainment for the children while I languished on the sofa. We managed a trip out to the sea while in Dorset with my husband's mum, then a trip into the Brecon Beacons whilst staying with my family in Wales. All good for the soul given that Berkshire, where we currently live, is sadly lacking in mountains and coastline! The scene you see in the photo at the beginning of the post was a real highlight - it was one of those beautiful crisp sunny winter days when we set out in the car, driving up the mountain roads bathed in sunlight, then suddenly descending into this ethereal frosty landscape suspended in mist in the valley. Just stunning!

I had a vaguely handmade Christmas this year, managing to pull off 4 gifts, though I had several more planned.
Liesl
There was the Liesl cardigan for my mother in law, some socks for my brother, fingerless mitts for his girlfriend, and an Amy Butler weekender for my mother.

Next year I've realised I'll need to start work a little earlier if I'm going to pull off the full list of handmade gifts. Still, the family members who missed out this time have January and February birthdays, so I can still make some of the things I had planned.

It's been a fairly productive year, crafting-wise. I'm now a seasoned veteran of 2 craft fairs, and have had my 100th etsy sale, but have also enjoyed making things for friends, family and even sometimes for myself! Here's a quick snapshot of some of my favourite makes from 2008 (I do love a mosaic)

I've really enjoyed this, my first full year of blogging. Its been such a pleasure to read everyone's comments, to be inspired by everyone's work and to make some new and very good friends.

Here's wishing you all a very happy new year for 2009!

15 comments:

  1. What a fabulous photo, just right after a day of snow. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy new year Helen, glad you're feeling, very jealous that you've lost weight.....
    love all your gifts that cardigan is lovely, although my mother in law wouldn't appreciate it, - once I made her some cushions, and the next time we went they were in the cats bed..... glad you have family that appreciate handmade!
    looking forward to seeing all the lovely things you'll make in 2009. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Helen that photo is sumptuous, wow!!!!

    Happy New Year to you and yours. And congrats on your 100th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Helen!

    The presents you made for your family are all so lovely. I wish I had relative like you. It is all very inspirational. Looking forward to seeing more handmade goodies in 2009.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh Helen! I wish I was related to you!! I particularly like the cardigan .. no the bag .. no the gloves .. .no .. the skull jumper (did you ever manage to find a way to stretch it to my size?) ... It's been great to 'meet' you this year and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and yours too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you too!
    Glad the lurgy is passing, we had it here too over Christmas. Love the weekender bag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bag you made for your mum looks great and a big well done on the 100.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! I love the sweater and the bag. How lucky are the people on your gift list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year! Wow, what a beautiful cardigan. I can see you have been very productive! How do you find time? Same to you, I will have to start making gifts earlier this year...
    Hope you have a great year ahead!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year. Hope you're feeling better now. Geogeous photo - the weather was perfect for those kinds of frosty, misty, crispy looking views wasn't it.

    You've obviously been very busy with the handmade and the Weekender has turned out fantastically.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Helen. Lovely to see you back and a Happy New Year to you too. You have made such beautiful things over this last year - I am still coveting those fingerless mittens! Sorry to hear you have been so poorly. We were all ill here too but managed to shake it off about two days before. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing picture Helen and what a productive year you had in 2008. Looking forward to seeing more in 2009 (no pressure!!!)

    Happy new year!

    Lina x

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy new year to you. sorry to hear you were ill all over xmas, that sucks. wonderful photo of the mist and snow, made me quite envious as we spent the whole time in London this year. LOVE the handmade gifts you managed. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Helen, Happy 2009. I am still making the rounds of everyone's blog, trying to catch up. Going by your mosaic of finished objects you had a great year last year. The weekender bag is gorgeous. I have seen the pattern for it and it looks so complicated. Hope you have a great 2009 and I can't wait to see your projects for this new year. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! I totally love your craftiness!

    But, where's that lace ribbon scarf you were working on?

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...