Saturday, 6 June 2009
Adventures in overlocking
I can't believe I haven't got around to blogging about my prized new overlocker/serger. With a bit of saving and a bit of birthday money, I bought this Janome 744D that I'd had my eye on. The people at Sewing Machines Direct were great, giving me lots of helpful advice on which one to go for. I ended up buying the same ex-demo model as Joanne as it was such a good deal, and I know Julia has one too and says it's great.
No sooner than it was out of its box (ordered at 4pm, arrived at 8.30am the next morning!) I was looking around for things to overlock. Having been frankly a little terrified of the sharp cutting bit and all those spools of thread I had a quick look at the instructional dvd and decided it was now or never. I even pulled out all the threads and rethreaded it - how brave am I? I have to say it was so much easier than I'd thought and I was soon running up a pair of pyjama bottoms for the boy, traced off a pair he already owned. Start to finish took around an hour, which is amazingly quick for me. The boy took to them immediately and raced off to play - he had to be pinned down to be photographed!
Buoyed by my success, I launched straight into some pyjama bottoms for me, in some Liberty Tana Lawn I'd been saving for that very purpose. Unfortunately, something went wrong with my tracing off method here, as they ended up a bit frou frou in the rear, but luckily they are still wearable, and the frou frouness is concealed when lying down.
I've also made a dress for the girl - based on Simplicity 4927, which I used to make a dress for her last year. This time, I made a little frilled sleeve cap and a facing for the top and added a longer zipped opening in the back instead of the button and loop fastening called for in the pattern.
I found it so much more satisfying to just zip through the side seams with my overlocker than pinking them as I did last time around.
I still wasn't happy with the finished dress though as it looked a bit like a hospital gown (ok, not much like a hospital gown, but just not right). So I after procrastinating for about 3 weeks, I added a couple of ruffles at the bottom, with a ric rac trim on one.
I think my daughter can carry off the frou frou look.