Tuesday, 16 June 2009

Beginnings of a boy quilt

fabrics for the boy's quilt

Reds and blues - the beginnings of the boy's new quilt. I haven't finished the coin quilt yet, but my boy has been asking me to make something for him for ages, and I do feel the guilt that he hasn't got a homemade quilt for his bed, so I bought a selection of bright fabrics with a view to making one. They seemed to be lacking something when I laid them all out to photograph them, so I went off on an internet shopping expedition at Saints and Pinners and bought 3 more prints to add to the stash.

fabrics for the boy's quilt

I like the way the original fabrics are lifted by the robot and rocket prints, and I love the brighter blue in the Amy Butler print. And then this week I saw this print and couldn't help but pop it into my basket as I felt the quilt needed just a bit more red. I'm left wondering now when I'll stop buying and get on to cutting and sewing. At least I've conquered my fear of buying less than a metre - this little stack of fat quarters and half yards is making me very happy!

And the boy's favourite? Not the rockets or the robots but the letters. Since his sister started reading at big school, he's become obsessed with sounding out words and teaching himself to read. You know those moments where you realise it's been quiet for a bit too long and you think the children are up to some kind of mischief? More often than not, I'll find him hunched over a cereal packet trying to sound out 'snap, crackle and pop', or revising one of his favourite stories. He even goes to sleep chanting letters to himself. It makes me smile every time I look at that letter print now; I suppose I'd better get on to making the quilt before he's through that stage and out the other side.

3 comments:

  1. that will be so lovely and how sweet that he is loving the letters, he'll remember that forever so this quilt will be very special for him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw bless him! Children get so enthusiastic about things you never think they would. Looks like it'll be a very cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice boy fabrics - how sweet that he wants you to make something so much, and how fantastic that he's so entranced by learning to read.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...