Sunday, 21 June 2009

Wallet week

** update: the wallet sewing pattern is now available to buy here**

 This week I have been mostly sewing wallets. I had a custom order for a card wallet with change purse which involved working on a new design. I won't show you prototype no. 1 as it ended up consigned to the bin in small pieces, but prototype no. 2 was a winner. Even my much loved Toyota wasn't copying well with sewing through 150 layers of fabric and interfacing, so the solution was a binding, which left a much neater finish and is pleasing in itself. There's something very satisfying about handsewing the binding in place then topstitching by machine.

Wallets

This coming week is going to be bag week. I cut out several last weekend but then ran out of interfacing (I don't know how that's possible, but it happened). The person who served me as I stocked up last week thought it was hilarious that I was buying a whole 5 metres in one go; little did she know I'm contemplating buying a whole roll of the stuff as I get through it so fast. And while I'm on the subject, if anyone's got any top tips for stopping me from getting it all over my ironing board, I'd be very grateful. Next week could well be new ironing board cover week.

14 comments:

  1. these are gorgeous Helen - great design!

    *covets*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the wallets! So cute. Your very clever to have designed them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always iron on my interfacing like this: place interfacing fusible side up, then fabric wrong side down, then a giant scrap of muslin in case any fusible sticks out. This way it doesn't stick to your iron or the board. Does this help?

    Nice wallets, too! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so great.

    I'm always just happy if I manage to put the interfacing the correct side up. Every time I seem to go through the dilema as to which side is the 'coated' side referred to in the instructions. I don't know what having kids did to my memory...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wallets look great. I know what you mean about the sewing machine trying to get through layers. I broke a needle the other day which was a bit scarey! (But my machine is only a £30 one from Lidls!!)
    No tips from me on the interfacing, I haven't a clue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so wonderful. I LOVE THEM! Great design, vibrant colours! Congratulations :D

    x
    Kyoko

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!!! Too bad I just bought a new wallet. I would have waited if I had known you were going to churn out some awesome designs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen, these wallets are cleverness beyone belief - you must feel so happy looking at those - they really are wonderful and so beautifully finished.

    My interfacing solution: I only use heavy weight vilene sew-in now - it is a dream and I love the way it feels and the way that our ironing board looks like normal people use it. My little mini ironing board, however...it is a mess again, due to my sticky applique habit. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. As the lucky owner of one such wallet, I can confirm they are lovely and fabulously made. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful wallet design, Helen. If I'm using fusible interlining (I like the H630 fusible fleece a lot just now) I usually cover the ironing board cover with an old sheet.... which I can easily wash. that way the irnong board cover stays 'safe' without glue! I don't get the fusible 'glue' stuff on the iron either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are FAB Helen! Your stitching is sooooo neat! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes these wallets are fab, I might put in an order soon! I also use old muslin cloths with which I cover the ironing board and then the fabric so nothing gets in the way. The same can also be used when you make appliques.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Use a piece of silicone paper on the ironing board...or baking parchment. (Not greaseproof)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love love love this wallet design! I reckon one made in a 'manly' fabric would make a great gift for blokes. And also everyone's tips for avoiding interfacing/ironing board disasters!

    Jen x

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...