Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Operation handmade home

quilted

The boy's quilt is nearly finished, and operation handmade home has been born. As I was quilting this week and the quilt was starting to look a bit more finished, I realised that I want to get a lot more handmade into my own home - and by that I don't mean all the shop items that are stashed in various boxes, drawers and cupboards, but rather making more things for my own family. I'm hideously pleased with myself over this little boy quilt and it's just made me want to make more. I think I may have caught the quilting bug (altogether preferable to swine flu).

quilted

I went for free motion quilting on this one. I'd hesitate to call it stippling, as I don't know whether or not it qualifies! I really like the all-over randomly quilted look though rather than the straight lines I've tended to use before. I made 1 practice quilt sandwich, didn't become very expert, but decided to launch into the full quilt all the same as I am impatient.

The trick seems to be going really quite fast on the foot pedal, but moving the quilt around slowly and deliberately. I set my stitch size to '0', put on a darning/embroidery foot, lowered the feed dogs and had to up my top thread tension a bit. Then it was away! I do have a quilting extension table that came free with my machine, but I found that really inhibited the manoeuvreability of the quilt with my hands laid flat on top (I didn't buy quilting gloves). Having the quilt draped over the edge of the smaller sewing area without the extension table seemed to give me much more control and grip on the fabric. I did have some quilters roll clips, which were good as I got to the very left edge of the quilt with so much bulk on the right under the machine arm.

the quilt, before bindingAlign Centre
The happy boy has been toting his quilt around the house (after a brief moment of insisting he has asked for a quilt that was blue all over with numbers on it) in its unfinished state. I'm just in the process of handsewing on the binding, then I'll machine wash it and see what happens. Hoping it won't disintegrate!

12 comments:

  1. I love it... brilliant. Hurrah for little boys. And I am totally with you on 'operation handmade home'. Usually as soon as I finish something it gets wrapped up and given away - booo! So I have decided to only make things for this house and the people that live in it for the months of July and August (although July is slipping by, so may have to extend this period!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is lovely!
    I do love it and admire who make quilts, I think I haven't enough patience...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely Helen and great to hear your experiences of freehand quilting match mine. it is so addictive and I also found that not having gloves probably made life harder. Next time...x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really lovely quilt - I have a lot of fabric ready for quilts, and I even cut some out, but I haven't quite brought myself to the point of starting! I am inspired by this though!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's just gorgeous! Not surprised it's brought about a wish for a handmade home - I do know what you mean about that too. I don't feel I've made much lately that's staying put and that was the thing that made me love sewing in the first place. Glad he got over insisting that he only wanted blue with numbers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely, you should be very pleased with yourself. The fisrt few tries with the feed dogs down is so scarey but then it just comes. I know what you mean about wanting handmade about the house. We get caught up in selling that you can suddenly look round and wonder what people would think when they came in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen it is FABULOUS! absolutely love it. Well done to you. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good Helen. Not a million miles from my own effort for my little man (just sewing the last of the binding on now). I love the idea of operation handmade home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt! The design is something that he will be able to use for a long time. I love the pattern. Is it a turning twenty?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just beautiful. I really love it. The colours all sit wonderfully together too. I like the idea of a homemade home, it adds something quite undefinable to a house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would be hideously pleased too if I was you - it's lovely. Thanks for passing on the details of the local sewing machine man btw. I'm going to give him a call to see if he can fix my naughty Bernina.

    Monda
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a lovely quilt - it's turned out fab! One doesn't see nearly as much out there for boys as for girls, so it's good to see this - what a lucky little boy! I'm thinking about embarking on my first 'proper' quilt soon for my two little girls to share and I'd be really pleased if it turned out half as good as this. Would you mind if I linked to this on the Saints & Pinners blog? x

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at Helen[at]angharadhandmade[dot]co[dot]uk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...