Tuesday, 4 August 2009

Dress surgery

Thanks for all the comments on my last post. Revisiting the Metropolitan Good Times dress today, as I'm cross with myself for my mistake in the sizing. I looked at the hot patterns site which suggests that the sizings equate to ready to wear, so whilst I made up the size closest to my measurements, if I was making the size I'd normally buy it would have been a full 2 sizes smaller! I'm loathe to give up on it, as I really like the styling, and a quick search on the internet shows how this pattern should look when made by a competent dressmaker - not at all like my own boxy effort.

This afternoon I set to work with the scissors and sewing machine and took a couple of inches off the sides, removed the single cap sleeve, stitched a belt and set to work with some pins on the yoke.

Before

the one-sleeved sack

After

salvage attempt on overlarge dress


Already 100 times better. The problem with the boxy yoke and sleeves is probably down to the fact that the knit I chose is quite thick, so it's never going to drape nicely as a double thickness. Still undecided about whether to try and draft a sleeve pattern myself (a bit scary!) or maybe trim the yoke to how it's pinned in the second pic and bind it. Getting there slowly. I'm hopeful of having a wearable dress at the end of it.

8 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I so admire anyone tackling dressmaking. It always seems like the pinnacle having very talented sewing skills. I will always be afraid of anything like that. Although do hanker after making my two girls some pretty things to wear. but the fear is far too strong. I dont think I have the nessasary skills. Maths and being able to understand patterns being just two of the ones I lack.

    Love the improvements you have made and I just know your dress will look fantastic once you have finished.

    Happy sewing.

    MBBx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! that's like two different dresses!! I have sleeve drafting info in a book if you want me to copy it for you.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing - I have never even dared tackle anything in a knit fabric. I tend to stick to skirts and frocks with no zips for Princess B!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a most wonderful difference. I love the alterations you have done and the dress is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's why I gave up on clothing sewing years ago. I made MANY clothes for my son when he was small, then for our daughters, but as children grow older - they inevitably decide that "homemade" is just not cool". That, coupled with sewing disasters (which, by the way happen to everyone - whether they tell you so or not) took the joy out of it.

    I need to crank back up again. :) It is SO satisfying to wear something that you've made yourself!

    Keep up the good work.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, getting anything to fit is such hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen...yes the second one is much better! Looks very nice on you !

    Thanks for linking to my "purple dotty" version of this top.

    For what it's worth: after making my fitting muslin for this top...for the second version (the one you linked to)I did scoop the front neck lower by about 3/8"...I just find it more comfortable.

    Yes, I think this pattern does work better with a very soft fabric...I've made several versions, and like the ones from drapey knits the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed. I wouldn't know what to do once I made a dress and found that I need to change it!
    The dress looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at Helen[at]angharadhandmade[dot]co[dot]uk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...