Tuesday, 5 January 2010

Happy New Year!

A chilly start to the new year here, and a snow day for us yesterday, with more of the same today. I can't believe 2010 is here already - we were married in 2000, and always joked about how easy it would be to remember how many years it had been, but still I can't work out how it can possibly be 10 years this time around! We have an exciting year ahead with our new arrival, sister to my 6 year old girl and 4 year old boy due in May.

2009 seems to have gone by so quickly. Some handmade highlights have been the quilts I made for my boy and girl (I didn't know when I started them that I'd soon need to start on a third!). Yes, I did manage to complete the coin quilt sew along, though never got around to blogging the photos of the finished article. The girl (and often the cat too) snuggles up under it every night, and she is enchanted by the idea of me putting my love into every single stitch, spending ages tracing the lines of quilting.

stacked coin quilt

quilting coin quilt

(For the record, as I seem to remember saying I'd report back, i found the warm and natural batting I used for the boy's quilt about 100 times easier to work with than the hobbs heirloom I used here. The warm and natural seemed to adhere naturally to the fabric, leading to much less slippage and a neater finish, though the puckers are not that noticeable with the free motion quilting, so I think I got away with it! Had I pinned more, and checked more often as I went along, I would probably not have had this problem). It's so nice to tuck the boy and girl in at night under a layer of handmade; there's definitely room in my life for more quilts, even if the house is already bursting at the seams.

I had fun putting together this mosaic of some of the other things I made in 2009. Click on the photo to see larger images and more details.


Hopefully there'll be a productive year of making ahead, though there might be a small interlude around the beginning of May!

13 comments:

  1. I'm sure 2010 will be a great (and busy) year for all of you!
    Thanks for your wishes.
    Hopong snowfall causes no troubles to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the coin quilt! Looking forward to see what you make in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isabella was born in May and I planted 100 bluebell bulbs in preparation for her arrival. My most favourite month. Happy new year helen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Helen,

    The coin quilt is amazing! You do have a lot of patience. You've had a productive year, I love all the colourful photos of all the goodies you made in 2009. I look forward to seeing what you make in 2010.

    x
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. what lovliness xxx your coin quilt is gorgeous, I never even started the one I wanted to do - THIS year xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 2010. This will be a very exciting year for you. Beautiful quilt and I look forward to coming to visit to check out all your beautiful crafts and work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Helen.
    I love the coin quilt you have made. Very pretty indeed.
    Sounds like 2010 will be a really fun and crafty year for you :D
    How exciting about May! I bet you can't wait ;)
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    x
    Kyoko

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the quilts, they look amazing and just perfect in this cold weather too. Look forward to seeing what you make this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, you made so many beautiful things in 2009 - here's to lots more creating in 2010!

    The quilt is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helen,

    I'm sure baby number 3 will have an amazing quilt!!

    Looking forward to seeing all your lovely creations in 2010.

    Natasha x

    ReplyDelete
  11. whoa, so many gorgeous creations you made in 2009! i love your coin quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year... here's to a healthy, happy and straightforward 2010!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do admire your quilt, its gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at Helen[at]angharadhandmade[dot]co[dot]uk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...