Saturday, 30 January 2010

January stash buster!

I'm delighted to see everyone signing up to the 'make a month in 2010' flickr group. There are now lots of us milling round in there - it's like a stash-busting self help group!

Last day of the month tomorrow, so I thought I'd better get on with posting about my own personal challenge for January. Ok, so in itself this little shoulder bag hasn't made a huge indent on my stash, but it's more about the principle this time, that is using things I have been hoarding needlessly. I'm very prone to buying fabric, getting it out to stroke it and admire it occasionally, then putting it away uncut as it's too nice to use! The fabric in question is a lovely Paul Smith linen herringbone tweed that I bought in Fabrics Galore on a shopping trip with Joanne, Florence and Lisa eons ago (March last year). I also had in mind as a lining the lovely brown and aqua damask print cotton that I received in a lovely surprise package from Florence.

This is the bag I came up with - a soft bag with darts rather than corners to create a rounded shape. I used a Vilene thermolam fleece interlining for added pouffiness - another stash item that was sitting around unused.

tweed bag

damask lining

It did look a bit plain though, when I'd finished, which was the ideal opportunity to break into the button and ribbon stash.
buttons and bows

There were a few days of ribbon positioning, backing away, adding of buttons, more consideration. I realised along the way that it is pointless asking my husband 'what do you think?' - all I got was a very helpful scratching of the chin and 'well, the button is a totally different colour from the bag', followed by a look of panic which suggested 'was that the sort of thing I was meant to say?'.

After due consideration, I decided on a flower corsage. I've made these kanzashi flowers before, but never actually got around to attaching them to anything. This time I attached a brooch pin to the back so that it can be repositioned, or pinned to a coat instead. Julia has a great tutorial on her blog if you haven't come across these before.

corsage detail

I'm not going to stop at just one of these bags but try to make a few up in different fabrics so as to continue my stash-busting efforts. I've half a mind to write up the pattern too, but who knows how long that will take me!

Come along and see the flickr group if you haven't signed up already - so many lovely things already popping up in the photo pool.

15 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous bag, I love it! Getting more and more tempted to make a bag, especially as I can't find one to satisfy my personal pernickity requirements. Just not brave enough yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous bag! The fabric is great to, from one of my favourite shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a lovely bag - love love love the flower. I still have the same tweed sitting in the cupboard...and there's only one day of January left!

    ReplyDelete
  4. really lovely - what a good idea this stash busting is :o)

    Monda
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bag is really lovely.

    Your husband sounds like a sweetheart. My husband will usually freely offer the opinion that he couldn't care less...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made something! And used some stash. Now I just have to photograph it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a most excellent bag and I love the embellishments. What I really like is your thread organizer - mine are all in this big glass jar in a big heap!! Can't believe tomorrow is the last day of January already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh it's lovely, and the flower is perfect. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous bag and the turquoise sets off the brown. I am wearing my stash busting skirt today - well I will be when I decide to get dressed. It is Sunday after all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely bag, I like the fabric you used very much, really nice. I have signed up the Flickr group, too. I will try to make a bigger dent on my hoardings next month. Thank you and take care. Chloe Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful bag - the flower really compliments it! Am also loving the thread reel holder - where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful bag and I really like the idea of de-stashing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bag is gorgeous. Love the combination of the two.
    I now want to make my own bag...
    x
    Kyoko

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh - love that bag pattern - so cute and I love the flap with contrast lining. You must write up the pattern - I'd love to get my mitts on it! Jen x

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at Helen[at]angharadhandmade[dot]co[dot]uk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...