Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Knitting and such

I'm just limbering up for my rather late start in the WinterRavelympics - that's ravelry's knitterly version of the Winter olympics. I missed the opening ceremony cast-on due to being asleep at 2am, and have lost a few days start, so I'm going for the 'wips dancing' category and resurrecting my long-abandoned veyla fingerless mitts. Christmas gift knitting took over somewhat this year, leaving my own fingers cold, so I'll be glad to finish these at last! The pattern is gorgeous, with a lovely vintagey feel, and I'm very excited by the opportunity to use pretty buttons to finish the project too.

In other knitting-related news, I'm also working on some knitting needle rolls for the shop. These have been on the to-do list for a long while, but put on the back burner due to procrastinating about the ideal number of pockets needed (this kind of indecision so often results in me leaving projects on the back burner indefinitely!). First off the production line is this case for dpns and circular needles in fresh green and blue prints by Anna Maria Horner and Amy Butler.

Needle roll for dpns/circulars
Needle roll for dpns/circulars

Next, I'm planning on making some small project bags for sock knitting, and some larger knitting bags (which will necessitate much chin scratching on the optimum number and variety of internal compartments, no doubt). This year I intend to get on with things rather than just endlessly thinking about the possibilities, which is just as well as my sewing days will be numbered come May.

May's new arrival is going to be the eventual recipient of my make-a-month for February. Friends keep on commenting on the fact that I am still referring to the baby as 'it', in spite of the fact that our scan before Christmas confirmed that 'it' is in fact a girl. I'm wondering whether this is because I haven't yet bought anything for the baby, so I'm thinking that making a pretty baby dress will make things seem a bit more real. I've chosen a pattern from the January 2008 issue of Ottobre Design and I'll be using this Japanese linen cotton mix fabric from Joanne for the body of the dress, and a floral poplin bought around a year ago in John Lewis for the fawn applique and piping.

February make-a-month

Pattern pieces have been traced and cut out, so the most tedious part has already been done leaving me with every intention of finishing this one this week.

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous needle case. Can't wait to see the Ottobre dress when it's finish - should be really pretty with those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen. Unprocrastinating is the name of the gamae here too this year, thanks to Diana over at Pebbledash! Love the baby dress and I use that fabric a lot too. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the needle case - very nice indeed. Looking forward to seeing the dress, because they're v pretty fabrics (and yes, cram in the sewing now!). How are Ottobre for boys' patterns btw?

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the idea of the knitting olympics, gorgeous everything else too xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh tiny dresses! what fun. We are having a suprise so I've rather done myself out of the making things in advance thing.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The needle case looks great and I am eyeing it up, despite the fact that I don't actually own any dpns (yet!)

    The little dress looks really sweet - good luck with the making up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful needlecase and that little dress will be gorgeous. I like Ottobre patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The needle case is fabulous! Such beautiful fabrics! Cx

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at Helen[at]angharadhandmade[dot]co[dot]uk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...