Monday, 1 March 2010
Yesterday, in between ferrying a small girl to her first ballet exam (she got honours!) and a celebratory trip to the cinema, I put the finishing touches to my make-a-month for February. Buttonholes were stitched, buttons sewed on, and the floral facings hand-hemmed into place. This pattern is from Ottobre kids design, January 2008 and is full of those pretty little details that always make Ottobre patterns stand out, like the cute fawn applique and piping and facings in pretty floral cottons.
The Japanese fabric Joanne gave me is perfect for a project like this too, as it's double-sided, so it's nice to get a glimpse of the checked side on the inside of the dress instead of it being hidden behind a lining. I loved the Japanese feel of the original design, so tried to replicate this with the polka dot linen/cotton mix fabric and floral cotton for the details and facings.
I had the tiniest remnant of the fabric left after finishing the dress so I decided to make a pair of baby shoes from Cotton Time magazine (January 2009, no. 82).
As I neither speak nor read Japanese, I had to rely on the illustrations of the steps, but as I've always found with Japanese patterns, these were really clear.
The one thing that I couldn't work out just from the pictures was seam allowances - so a quick google of 'Japanese sewing terms translated into English' and I came across this really useful list over at Moving Hands now bookmarked for future use!
All in all, this was a good bit of stash busting - hoarded fabric and buttons - and using of purchased but neglected pattern books! Hoping to carry on the good work in March with some makes for my boy and girl.
There was also a bit of baby knitting this week. Having had to abandon my ravelympic Veyla gloves as the yarn I had chosen was just too fuzzy to show the pretty lace, I cast on instead for a baby hat and bootees (junior category). I was sent some craft books to review by Quadrille, one of which was the beautiful Natural Nursery Knits by Erika Knight. I immediately fell in love with the garter stitch bonnet and matching bootees and cast on hastily a couple of days ahead of the finish line.
This make involved acquiring stash (Rowan fine milk cotton yarn) but also allowed me to delve into my haberdashery collection for the pretty vintage embossed buttons. I made it to the finish line just in time to collect my ravelympic medal!
I'm planning to review Natural Nursery Knits in my next post and give away my copy, so do pop back if you're interested in winning.
It's as if I've turned a psychological corner in making these little baby things - suddenly I'm calling the baby 'she' instead of 'it'! It's taken a while - I've known since our scan back in December, but somehow making these things has made it a bit more real.