Monday, 29 March 2010

Spring sort-out

New fabric
Springtime stash additions

We're up to our eyes in clutter this week. Trying to have a bit of a sort out as Spring-cleaning season will be somewhat curtailed this year due to the arrival of our newest family member. As a result, our bedroom is full of piles destined for various places - charity shops, handmedowns for friends, outgrown clothes to be bagged and put in the attic, sewing stash in need of a home.

In spite of the general chaos which surrounds me, I have had a fairly productive week. On Friday I sent off a finished pattern and sample for a magazine (which has to remain under wraps until publication, so more on that another time). I'm also fine tuning and perfecting a couple of patterns which I hope to have on sale soon - for a wallet and a bag. I did have a small setback in my pledge to destash before re-stashing in the form of an order from Gone to Earth, but I don't think it counts as I've already cut into the fabric. This must represent a record-breaking turnaround from acquisition to use for me (I normally average about 12 months by the time I've finished admiring my neatly folded, yet-to-be-cut fabric). What's more, my March make-a-month is in the works - a pair of aprons for my two small people in their choice of fabrics.

I'm now daydreaming of pretty matching outfits for my girls for a party we'll be going to in July - a Summer dress for the baby and a tiered skirt for the big sister in some combination of these three fabrics, and perhaps the boy might be persuaded to a tie in the red and pink apples - this free pattern looks perfect. It may seem like madness to be adding all these things to the to-do list when I only have 6 weeks to go before all hell breaks loose in this household, but I'm taking advantage of a burst of Springtime energy - I even cleaned by windows the other day, and goodness knows that's out of character!

13 comments:

  1. Gone to Earth has the best fabrics! Do I spot some Amy Butler Love in there somewhere? How much do you buy at a time? As it's still a hobby for me, I rarely buy more that a fat quarter of anything unless I (a) have something planned a need more or (b) love the fabric so much that I'd just DIE if I didn't buy at least, oooh, half a meter LOL! Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleaning the windows is nesting in a big way! As is not realising that you're nesting but claiming just to have a sudden urge to clean!

    I have that apple fabric in green and have made so many things with it. Love the red version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo-weeee those are some yummy fabrics you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like things are getting ready to me Helen! How exciting for you all. best of luck and I love the fabrics x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely fabrics, make sure you don't get too tired nesting so you have some energy for more sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely splendid fabrics. What a wonderful marinade of colors. You are one busy woman :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mean to be too personal, but when is your baby due? Is it coming soon? All this sorting and cleaning makes me think it may be on its way very soon!

    Your fabrics are really enticing! I hope you have some free moments to sew them up :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there,your photo of your stash looks Fab! I've just read your make a month challenge and I'm going to join! I will endeavour to sign up to Flickr and post pics of my makes so far this year over the weekend! Justine x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you're getting the chaos resolved and can settle down to enjoy that fabric! J x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helen,

    I love all the fabrics you have got there. You have been very busy. I'm looking forward to finding out which magazine will be featuring your patterns. You must let us know once it is published.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just hopped over here from Driftwood. You're to have a pattern published? WOnderful - this may be a common occurence for you but - how exciting! It sounds to me as though the cleaning may well be the beginning of the beginning This is very exciting too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely stash, Helen!
    Have a Good Easter weekend

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...