Monday, 9 May 2011

Finishing what I started

I've been so neglectful of my blog just lately. There are 101 things I'd meant to blog, but somehow time passed and I hadn't got around to it. I don't like leaving things unfinished though; witness my recurring nightmare of being in the final year of my degree, a week before my final exams and realising I have neither chosen my special authors, nor read any of their novels. I can feel that deep dread in the pit of my stomach just thinking about it. I think the dream is born of an anxiety about not finishing things (as well as not starting things I said I'd do!). So in the spirit of starting and finishing, I'm planning to post each day this week just to tie up those loose ends, like the AOB section of an agenda.

zig-zag baby quilt in bright oranges and pinks

First up is the 2010 zig-zag quilt piece-along I signed up to 16 months ago. I'd been inspired by Lina's gorgeous zig-zag quilt in sunny yellows. Evidently, I failed to sew a zig-zag quilt in 2010, but I had the perfect excuse to start one this Spring for a best friend's new baby girl. All I knew was that there must be lots of orange, as it's always been her favourite colour, and I thought I'd throw in some bright pinks for extra zing, though steering well-clear of the classic baby pastel pinks.

zig-zag baby quilt in bright oranges and pinks

I've seen a great tutorial by crazymomquilts on how to make a zig-zag quilt without piecing any triangles, but in the end went for a different method, piecing pairs of two triangles from two 5" squares, then assembling the zig zags in horizontal rows.

And here's the finished quilt

zig-zag baby quilt in bright oranges and pinks

It was made with 5 fat quarters of fabric (all used, almost to the selvedge), a metre of fabric for the backing, and a few inches of solid quilting cotton for the doubled binding which I had leftover from a previous project. The whole quilt is playmat-sized, using a craft-sized pack of warm & natural wadding. All materials were ordered from the lovely Jo and Fran at Saints & Pinners (all the dolce fabrics are now in the sale).

zig-zag baby quilt in bright oranges and pinks

I'm very happy with this one, and as ever, enjoyed handstitching the binding on to frame the finished quilt and seeing it become a thing rather than a pile of fabric squares. My friend's baby (who is totally gorgeous!) has already tried it out for size and had a lie down on it on a picnic-in-the-park meetup, and I hope it'll hold up to lots of use (the beauty of such a brightly patterned quilt is that you can throw pretty much anything at it!).

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt! Your friend is so lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely quilt! Great tip on joining two triangles too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a lovely choice of colours in your quilt. I bet it's hard to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pattern and the fabric really makes it sing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely! The colours and prints you chose work really well together. It's zingy in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! So zesty for a baby - I'm sure they like brights more than pastels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! What a lucky baby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a really beautiful quilt - you must be so pleased with yourself!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!
    I've been sewing zigzags of late!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful, fab colours and patterns for the baby to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So lovely! I truly love the clever mix of colors you used! Is this quilt made using the toyota quiltmaster machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, the quilt is made using my Toyota Quilt50. Do you have the same machine?

      Delete
    2. Not just yet, but I'm planning on buying it soon. Thanks!

      I love to quilt baby blankets and I've been looking around for months for something to replace my very,very old Singer sewing machine. The Quilt50 is top on my list. After reading your blog, I will definitely purchase it this week :)

      The new upgraded model (the Toyota Quilt226) is not available here in Malaysia, but I think the Quilt50 basically has all the versatile features I need in a sewing machine...

      Delete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...