Sunday, 5 June 2011

The small stuff

We've had a busy week of house-hunting this half term, with a trip across the border to the Wye valley to begin our search for a new home. Daunting is not the word - co-ordinating house sale and purchase, new schools for children and the husband's new job is going to be no joke. Then there's the packing. I'm trying not to think about all that for the moment, but gradually plugging away at all those little sorting jobs that will make the whole thing less painful.

cutting scrap vomit squares

I'm counting as one of those little jobs going through my fabric scraps at long last. There doesn't seem to be much sense in transporting huge carrier bags of tiny offcuts and fabric strips when we have a whole 5-people's-worth of stuff to think about. Of course, cutting and sewing means making a mess, but it's a pleasant diversion tactic. In a flurry of activity after returning home from Wales, I finally cut my 965th 2.5 inch square ready to start on scrap vomit. I'm thinking of changing the pattern slightly, and using a dark charcoal grey or even a navy for my B blocks, with the outer ring in grey, the next ring in scraps, then the inner ring in grey again, taking inspiration from this lovely quilt I found over on flickr.

scrap tangle

The process of cutting up those little squares has put a considerable dent in my scraps collection, and now I've got the momentum going, I've been grabbing handfuls of fabric strips to finally get going on some projects I've been thinking about for ages. It's so satisfying string-piecing little blocks and odd shaped patchworky pieces. Once I've zipped through a few more, I'll post some pictures of what I'm making; I have lots of different scrappy plans!

piecing scraps

5 comments:

  1. Must be a bit overwhelming. Denial and "sorting" fabric scraps would definitely be on my list of priorities too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would choose fabric over packing any day. And I love scrappy projects - can't wait to see what you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of the darker rings, gives the eye chance to rest love the idea that you are moving and so must sort the fabric bags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous. I did a lot of baking when I should have been packing, moving house requires a LOT of cake at all stages xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving with children is so complicated. I did it three times when mine were small. I found the best way to do this was have a thorough and quite ruthless clear out and tidy but not actually pack anything. I left that to the removal men. On the moving day we waited for the removal men, then packed the family in the car and set off for the new house leaving a trusted friend to watch over the packers and lock up after them. I look forward to seeing how you progress with the quilt

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at Helen[at]angharadhandmade[dot]co[dot]uk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...