Monday, 9 January 2012

Knits and stitches 2011

I still make things, just not half as much as I used to. Looking back on 2011, though, there was a bit more making than I realised, in between the house-hunting and house-selling, as well as all the stresses and strains of a relocation with 3 small children in tow.

In costume, there was 1 don't-look-too-closely felt Paddington hat, 1 Mildred Hubble school tie and sash, 1 Victorian smock, 1 WW2 evacuee's cap and gas mask, and a Bethlehem villager's get up. You'll have to trust me on this one, though the costumes were pretty shoddily thrown together at top speed, I may be biased but I think the cuteness of my children more than compensated for it!

For my little family, there was an attempt to be less of a slummy mummy by making an apple print pram liner, and a couple of outfits for my daughter's Corolle Les Cheries doll.

dolls' clothes and pram liner

There were even two handmade baby quilts as gifts for my friend's new baby and my new nephew. I loved making the orange and pink zig-zag quilt, acquiring a new love of orange fabrics in the process.

zig-zag baby quilt in bright oranges and pinks

The nephew quilt was finished and belatedly gifted to its recipient just before Christmas when at long last I managed to unpack my sewing machine and clear a space amidst the boxes in the study to sew! I used some of the same fabrics as I used in my own boy's quilt, adding some new ones into the mix, and backing it with some lovely soft brushed cotton fabric from Cath Kidston.

Baby nephew quilt
baby nephew quilt

And my first project of 2012 is already underway as I'm getting another new nephew in the Spring when my sister's first baby is due. Today the fabrics were ordered and I can't wait to get started.

And in the hall of unfinished shame, we have one baby quilt top and the scrap vomit quilt I started back in May. I'm so nearly there with the scrap vomit now, well, with piecing the top anyway, just waiting for a spool of cotton thread sent to my old address and I'm away! But in the meantime, here's evidence that the B blocks are in progress, though I've departed from the pattern here and gone for what will hopefully be a pattern of diamonds interlinking across the quilt in dark grey solid cotton ... which may or may not turn out to be a terrible mistake.

Scrap vomit B block


There was also a sole knitted project, but as it was start to finish in moss stitch I'm counting it as three (let's overlook its miniature size!).

Mossy cardigan
Pattern: Lucky by Kim Hargreaves
full details on Ravelry

I got over the pain of the moss stitch by knitting continental style, which I heartily recommend, as otherwise I think my hands would have ended up as gnarled claws in the process (knitting British-style does not favour moss stitch as it's about as inefficient a movement as you could get switching from knit to purl). I finished this one whilst watching Prof Brian Cox's A Night with the Stars before Christmas. Ok, so the maths bit was a bit of a stretch for me (and I have a gloaty mathematician of a husband to make this abundantly clear) but as far as I'm concerned, lining a handknit jacket with quilting cotton is as near as damnit to quantum physics. Stretchy knitting versus tightly woven cotton, the whole inside out/right side in thing. I'm so pleased with the end result, and my little nephew looks gorgeous in it!

And as for 2012? My stitching resolve is firm, and I intend to have a much more productive year.

16 comments:

  1. I love the quilts, and the jacket is so adorable I'd count it as five.

    I'm hoping to be more productive this year too, especially since I'm abandoning the little room (impractical and pressurising) and moving my stuff into the spare room.

    I have that crush thing with Brian Cox going on, though wouldn't if he didn't know so much about physics. If he was still just in a drab pop band? Not so attractive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! 5 it is then, that's definitely upped my total for the year by a huge percentage.

      I'm definitely all about the intellect! Obviously though, mathematician trumps physicist ;)

      Good luck with your creative resolutions too! x

      Delete
  2. I think you've done really well considering the move and having a tiny one (plus bigger ones). I remember having liner envy when you made yours and look forward to seeing your makes this year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beth. Life is certainly busy at the moment!

      Delete
  3. lots of lovely makes there, looking forward to seeing what 2012 brings x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tess. Hopefully I'll have more to show for 2012. x

      Delete
  4. Lovely liner Helen. I think you've done amazingly with a little one in tow. Happy New Year to you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, Pipany. I can't believe I'm using 3 as an excuse when you manage so much with a larger brood! x

      Delete
  5. Moving house is always stressful, so making anything seems to stop. Do hope you have settled in and enjoying your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. It's certainly taking longer this time to get sorted out. Hope things are going well in your home too!

      Delete
  6. goodness, now you mention it, moving house, small children...... i bet the rest of the time was feet up infront of daytime tv....life must be a breeze.. i expect more to be made this year.......seriously, it looks like you did a lot last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I really don't know where the days go sometimes, I seem to have so little to show for my efforts! I hope all is well with you, Joanna. x

      Delete
  7. Oh, I do like that red / blue / rocket quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. My boy was very attached to the one I made him before, and I'm a big fan of lots of red. x

      Delete
  8. Hi Helen,

    I am very impressed with all the lovely things you have made. You have definitely been more productive than I have been. The quilts are so beautiful and the pram lining looks lovely, do you sell them or custom make them?.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. The pram liner was something I made as a one-off, though I had considered making some for the shop. I definitely need to make a new one for myself as the apples one has already done good service. x

      Delete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...