Sunday, 18 March 2012

Spring crafting

In spite of having precious little time to actually finish anything, my usual handmaking mode is to have more projects on the go at any one time than I can count on the fingers of both hands. This is probably why I always feel as if I'm not accomplishing anything at all, other than making a lot of mess. I've always been the same - is it just a short attention span? I was the child with at least 4 books on the go at once, stashed under pillows and falling down the side of the bed, and my crafting has taken the same pattern. Can I just put a positive gloss on it as being good at multitasking rather than admitting to being a flibbertigibbet?

A bit of sunshine, and the days getting slightly longer, means I'm keener than ever to Spring clean my to-do list and get some bits and pieces into the 'finished objects' pile. The Spring cleaning urge also extends to my blog and shop which could do with a good overhaul and tidy up. It sadly doesn't extend to any great enthusiasm for real housework, as my family will testify (but hey, I'm patting myself on the back for having spent an hour ironing this evening, even though it's mothering Sunday!).

On the work table this week, and near as dammit to completion, are a quilt for my sister's brand new baby boy (born just a few days ago - hooray!) and a little moss stitch cardigan like this one for my other new nephew born in September.

work in progress - baby boy quilt

work in progress - lined baby cardigan

And because it's important to add two new projects onto the end of the conveyor belt before you finish the last two, I've started on a new batch of zipped pencil cases and coin purses and some tea cosy designs which have been (really badly) sketched in my designs book for about 3 years.

work in progress - pencil cases

work in progress - tea cosies

That should give me plenty to be getting on with, given that these days, I'm lucky to spend a couple of hours a week actually sewing. Anyone else seeing spots?

10 comments:

  1. I'm the same! I've got a gazillion things on the go, one of which is a quilt for my mum that I haven't even started. She is hassling me already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me! I have to say though, your quilting output is pretty spectacular, I love all the handpieced work you've been doing - you're to blame for lots of the projects I'm adding to my list!

      Delete
  2. I have a couple of projects at the mo - knitting and finishing a quilt. Hopefully the quilt will be finished in the next day or so.... Love the pencil case wips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. I've just popped over to yours and seen your finished baby quilt, and it's gorgeous. The book looks really inspiring too, so thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  3. I'm also the same, so many ideas and so little time to do them.
    I'm trying my hardest not to buy new fabric until I've made a quilt for my son with fabric I bought 18 months ago! I finally have a pattern I'm happy with though!

    Love the cardigan, is it to a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to be restrained with fabric purchases too, Roberta. I managed pretty well last year but I think that was more due to the fact that we were moving house than my own restraint! What pattern are you using for your son's quilt?

      The cardigan is from one of the Rowan books - I got a free copy with a yarn purchase. You can find it here though http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lucky-2 . The instructions for the lining were part of the freebie pattern from the shop, but not included in the original, but it was pretty easy really, so just email me if you want the details.

      Delete
  4. I am using this year to get projects finished... Yes.....this year.... It will take me all year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna. If I'm realistic, I think my list would take longer than a year! I'm still in denial about the amount of time I actually have to sew these days, the day needs to be around 4 hours longer.

      Delete
  5. When we say 'on the go', do we mean 'not even started'? Because I have lots of things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but of course. Some of my most successful projects exist only in my head.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...