Sunday, 22 April 2012

Stylish Dress Book 1: View E

Stylish Dress Book 1: View E

It's the very last day of the Spring Top Sewalong today, so last night I set to work on my final submission. I know I could just sew tops anyway, but I do like a sewalong; it's a bit of incentive to see a project through and actually get something finished in a limited timescale.

View E from Stylish Dress Book 1 is the reason I bought the book in the first place. It's also the reason I bought 2.5 metres of Anna Maria Horner's Little Folks Voile from Raystitch almost two years ago. So back to the thing about needing an incentive to sew; clearly I'm not that self-motivated! I'd seen a beautiful tunic in the toast catalogue which was out of my price range, so this was going to be my take on that top. Mindful of how voluminous a lot of the patterns in the book are, the voile seemed like a good choice as it has a lovely drape.

Having made my last Spring top from the Stylish Dress book, I'd had a trial run to see how the sizing ran. I stuck with the size 11 here, which is just about a perfect fit, though I didn't add any extra length this time as I wanted it to be more of a tunic than a dress. Whilst there were no issues with following the pattern this time (see my last post for links to resources for sewing with Japanese patterns) I did refer to my trusty Complete Book Of Sewing (my go-to guide for most sewing techniques!) for some help with the neck facing, as the diagram in the Japanese book didn't go into much detail on this point. I wanted to get the finish as neat as possible without the neck facings being visible, so I ended up understitching the seams to the facing as directed by my sewing bible.

And here's the finished article, which I intend to wear with my skinny jeans or leggings and, very probably, a thick cardie if the weather continues to be so chilly:

Tunic from Stylish Dress Book 1: view E

When I had a quick (sleeveless) try on last night, and realised that it was actually going to be a wearable item of clothing, I broke out the overlocker to finish the seams properly as I was a bit nervous of the very fine voile fraying.

Workspace

I really like the feel of the voile, it's super lightweight, soft, and has a lovely drape. If I was using it for a dress, I'd definitely line it though, as it's on the sheer side. The best thing is that I have a good sized piece of the voile leftover, to make a skirt for one or both of the daughters (not to be worn at the same time as my tunic!). I imagine it would make a lovely tiered twirly skirt, maybe pepped up with a brighter top for little-person chic.


23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's very voluminous, and will be lovely and cool if it ever gets any warmer!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks - the Anna Maria Horner voiles come in such pretty prints.

      Delete
  3. It turned put so pretty! I have this book too but I haven't got round to sewing from it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a really great pattern book - looking around on flickr people have done some lovely things with the patterns.

      Delete
  4. That's incredibly beautiful! I love those empire=line drapes - they don't suit my shape at all, but I love them on others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's probably potential for adapting the pleats so they finish higher or lower, even leaving room for manoeuvre getting it on over the head (no zips).

      Delete
  5. I love this dress/top! It's perfect for that fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I chose the fabric specifically for this pattern, it's got such a nice drape for the pleats and gathers at the back.

      Delete
  6. That is such a gorgeous top - love the fabric too, I haven't seen that voile before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. It's probably as I've had it for the best part of two years! I've seen the reddy/orange version still on sale somewhere online though. It's called baby bouquet.

      Delete
  7. Oooh, this is gorgeous. Love that voile, just my colours. It's reassuring that I am not the only person to take such a long time to get round to planned projects... And look how well it worked out in the end - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am definitely a slow burn with the crafting - would hate to make a hasty decision and botch something. That's not to say, though, that I haven't botched my fair share of things even when I've taken my time!

      Delete
  8. It is wonderful, love the shape and fabric. And using an overlocker means you are a real sewist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm still a little scared of my overlocker. It's getting easier though - I even worked out how to change the tension for knits and wovens without breaking it!

      Delete
  9. That's a really lovely top, it really suits you. I love the fabric that you have chosen too. I've started sewing again so I will definitely check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'd really recommend the book. It's got so many great basic patterns in it and the styling of the photographs is beautiful.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...