Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Pick up sticks

It's that time of year again. The cat has started baulking at the thought of going outside and is mainly to be found ensconced in the warm comfort of a quilt atop one of the children's beds. We'll know it's really cold when we start accidentally sitting on her at story time as she'll have made her way underneath the quilt. Indeed, we once found her sitting on the mattress having burrowed underneath pillow, fitted sheet and mattress protector. She's a right weirdo.

Though I'm resisting the call of the central heating for the time being, my thoughts always turn to cosy knits at this time of year. My list of favourites and knitting queue over on Ravelry are lengthening by the day. Do you ravel? I'm to be found over there as angharadknits if you'd like to befriend me.

So here's the (kn)hit list so far for this Autumn:

artesano alpaca yarn






One little paper dolls jumper for my eldest in fairisle-friendly artesano alpaca.

skein queen yarn










One pair of veyla mitts (previously cast on in the aforementioned artesano which did not lend itself to the kind of stitch definition I had wanted for the gorgeous lace cuffs, whereas the 'bloom' is perfect for fairisle) in a stashed skein of Skein Queen's finest.








Three hat and mittens sets for the littlest and her two baby cousins from Zoe Mellor's Adorable Knits for Tiny Tots, a book which I wholeheartedly recommend for those who knit for small children. (The pirate jumper I knitted many moons ago for the boy came from this book).







Which to start first?? I'm not sure yet, but for the moment my knitting sticks are occupied anyway, knitting up teeny tiny bobble hats for smoothies. And no, I haven't succumbed to some kind of febrile delirium due to the plummeting temperatures; this is the Big Knit, the annual fundraiser of the people over at Innocent smoothies for Age UK.

a vase of bobble hats


There's not much time left as the hats need to be in by 1st of October, but even if you haven't time to knit, UK folk can still support the charity by buying an behatted smoothie during the three weeks beginning 21 November in Sainsbury's - for each smoothie sold, Innocent will donate 25p to Age UK.


8 comments:

  1. your cat sounds hilarious! Love the teeny bobble hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat is totally barking. Particularly now that it's gone cold so she's extra chatty!

      Delete
  2. our cat's have been doing the out refusal a lot the last few days, lashing rain and driving winds apparently not as nice as my cosy bed......
    love those little hats! I think I could manage a few of those.
    (oh and our heating went on already - I had to get the childrens coats and shoes dry somehow....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cat is still taking the air, but I have often found her this week tucked up inside the pushchair which I tend to park in the porch! No heating yet, but my resolve is weakening ...!

      Delete
  3. Ooh those are impressive little bobble hats, lucky smoothies! I'll pop over to Ravelry to find you now, but it will be your fault if I lengthen my queue! Beth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you over on ravelry, Beth. And thanks for the heads up about my out of date profile! My blog was just the same until I had it pointed out to me!

      Delete
  4. I love the colour of the Skein Queen yarn. I have managed one legwarmer so far, and for some reason I can't bring myself to cast on the second!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha - second legwarmer syndrome! I keep on meaning to try magic looping two gloves/legwarmers/socks at the same time, as it's always the danger ending up with just one! x

      Delete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...