Sunday, 2 December 2012

Advent

Advent calendar

Well it's advent Sunday today, and there are a few little bits of Christmas sneaking their way in around the house. Eldest is playing 'Good King Wenceslas on her violin, middle has joined her on his tenor horn, and their duet is nothing if not festive, loudly festive. Then there's the littlest of the tribe, who has been learning some new songs at playgroup - if you ask her what she's been singing, she'll get a serious look on her face and say : 'Christmas ... got stuck ... can't get out ... in chimbly'.

There is an advent candle burning merrily on the mantlepiece. We're still in the heady days of advent candle ownership, remembering to light the candle each day (day 2), but I know it won't be long before I'm guiltily trying to burn down three days' worth after forgetting to light it. We also have three traditional advent calendars on the mantel, gifted to my children each year by their grandfather, a vicar, as an advent tradition. None of this chocolate nonsense, they not only have a picture inside but also a biblical verse. Eldest has a lovely nativity scene in 3D, with glitter and everything. I'm playing along with Rachel of my life in knitwear's advent calendar reveal over on twitter. If you'd like to join in, just use the hashtag #traditionaladventcalendar.

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas, you know. 

5 comments:

  1. awww, how lovely and Christmassy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I now feel all consumerist having got the wee man a playmobil advent calendar which was in no way something I squeeeeed over in the shop. No sir.

    It's got a dinosaur in it!!!!

    Ahem. Not the spirit of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was beginning to think it was just me! I am bah humbug to all these chocolate advent calenders and gift calender. Why should be mark the countdown to the chocolate and gift giving season with chocolate and gift giving! I will use you as an example when my kids whinge that everyone else has chocolate and they get to open a window. You have proved that its not everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds oh so festive! We may have gone a little overboard with advent calendars this year... the Lego one we gave Patch, then one from Granny and Grandpa, a sweet Olive the Other Reindeer one from Patch's Goodmums, a book advent each evening... It's taking an age to open them all! It really is beginning to feel a bit like Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to,play the tenor horn when I was about ten - I loved it.

    Still not feeling very festive around here at the moment...I'm hoping something is going to kick in soon otherwise the kids will stop speaking to me...now there's a thought!

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...