Monday, 29 April 2013
Well, I was late to the party signing up to Kids' Clothes Week 2013, but I did manage to finish the puppet show tunic and to whip up a little sundress for my little sunbeam today. Though I haven't made the little gathered cuff shorts yet, I'm thrilled to bits with the tunic, a perfect opportunity to use those blue polka dot buttons I'd been holding on to for a while, and to put that blue floral print and seersucker gingham to use at long last.
I love the finish on this pattern - a curved yoke with topstitched darts, pouffy little sleeves with a button cuff, and the button back closure. The only place where I deviated from the pattern is in making the button plackets and hem - I omitted the hem facing altogether, preferring to finish the hem with some handmade bias in the seersucker gingham used for the yoke.
My mini miss is almost three, but being as I was pretending to be a pro stitcher, I actually measured her before cutting out the pattern, and realised she runs pretty true to a 2T, which is the size I made.
She's looking sideways in all the shots I took, not as a gazing-into-the-middle-distance catalogue pose, but because my mum is holding a packet of chocolate buttons just out of shot as a bribe. There was also another little distraction in the form of a little cousin who kept on appearing in the frame with a cheeky grin!
After a great many chocolate buttons my model was also persuaded to brave the chill and put on her new sundress. This is a really simple shirred dress, with narrow rouleau ties (though not as impossibly delicate as those Lauren made on the Great British Sewing Bee!). There are plenty of tutorials out there, but this one (found via The Thrifty Stitcher Blog, sewing consultant to the GBSB) is a good one, with guidelines for typical children's sizing included.
The fabric is a very cheap cotton print bought in a fabric shop in Reading, of which I have enough remaining to make a matching dress for my 9-year old. Nothing beats matchy-matchy sisters!