Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Glut

cherry tomato crop from the garden

Ever wondered what to do with that end-of-Summer glut of cherry tomatoes? Well, after a last ditch harvest of all the ripening fruits from our vines, I wondered too. And wondered. And wondered. I leafed through recipe books and browsed the internet. Meanwhile, as the days went by, those shiny cherry tomatoes sat abandoned on a baking tray awaiting their fate and looked at me accusingly every time I went into the kitchen to make a cup of tea (and I make a LOT of cups of tea during the course of an average day).

Of course, the good thing about neglecting your tomato harvest for a couple of weeks is that by that time, they will almost all be ripe. The bad thing is that the green tomato recipes you had thought about cooking are now no longer appropriate (I had designs on this recipe for chicken thighs with green tomatoes via The Coffee Lady).  So, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall to the rescue with a simple idea for passata made with roasted cherry tomatoes, herbs and garlic, the basis for a delicious homemade roast tomato ketchup which I would then bottle, allowing me to ditch the squeezy plastic variety and feel like a smug domestic goddess.

tomatoes ready to roast

I washed, halved, and bathed the tomatoes in olive oil and garlic with a scattering of dried herbs. Then I roasted them for almost an hour. Then I painstakingly pushed them through a sieve (a surprisingly strenuous activity) to make my passata . Which I left to cool on the side. Which my husband, on returning from work, assumed was leftover tomato soup. Which he microwaved in a bowl and ate. Which was the end of my lovely homemade passata. And the end of my roasted tomato ketchup dreams.







6 comments:

  1. Yes, that is exactly what life is like.....never mind ...if life is lemons , make lemonade......life is more like....take time to make your own ketchup and everyone will think is just soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear.............. I hope he enjoyed it. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nooooooooo! I suppose it was rather delicious tomato soup...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear. But I did giggle, sorry. What was his verdict on the soup?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently 'it was really good soup'!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...