Thursday, 31 October 2013

The sewing machine with no name

doodling embroidery stitches Janome 5900QC 

Oh Janome 5900QC, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I've been window shopping sewing machines for some time now due to having outgrown my old, more basic machine, as well as hankering after the bells and whistles of a computerised machine. I'm a great researcher of purchases - never knowingly bought anything without spending hours on the internet beforehand - so when I had the opportunity to purchase the Memory Craft 5900QC with the bundled quilting package for a really competitive price, I knew this would be the machine of my dreams.

What the Janome 5900QC has going for it:
    Stitches: standard, embroidery and fonts
  • A LOT of stitches (from 30 on my old machine to 500+ on the Janome).
  • A memory (which is more than can be said for its owner - see below on names). 
  • Alphabets! Including a lovely italic font which I'm itching to try out properly. 
  • A drop-in bobbin. I can see how much thread is left - no more running out half way through a seam.
  • The best-ever 1/4" piecing foot
  • A 1/4" foot bundled in which has an actual fabric guide for the raw edges - revolutionary! No more wonky patchwork points.
  • Width as well as length adjustments for the patterns.
  • A hard cover. Not that I really cart my sewing machine around, but I've always considered a hard cover to be the hallmark of a 'proper' machine.
  • A speed limiter. Although I'm a self-confessed speed merchant, this one is really useful for tasks like topstitching the finished edge of a bag, or other fiddly tasks, as it gives a much more even speed than using the full range of the foot pedal. 
  • Feet, feet and more feet. More feet than I know what to do with, to be honest, but I'm looking forward to testing them all out (bundled in I got the following: regular, satin stitch, zipper, cording, automatic buttonhole, button, darning/embroidery, even feed/walking foot, hemming, overcasting, overedge). 
  • Cubby holes for machine feet and needles
  • Well thought-out storage for the feet and other sewing paraphernalia - I like the dinky marked compartments. A place for everything and all that (this machine might be the making of me, the world's most chaotic worker).
  • Needle up and down button. The best thing of all, in my opinion - so much easier for those stop-start projects like tight curves and applique work where you need to stop and adjust the fabric as you sew.
  • A knee-lifter - going to be very useful for quilting, I think. 
  • Stop/Start button - easy as pie, just press and sew. Look, no feet!  
  • shiny red buttons
  • Shiny red buttons for direct stitch selection
I've been putting the 5900QC through its paces over the last couple of weeks, throwing multiple layers of quilting fabric, wadding and interfacing at it, and it hasn't baulked at all. No snarled up threads. No skipped stitches. In fact, the most perfect lovely even stitches that I've always longed for, and one of the main reasons I decided on a Janome. I'm absolutely delighted with my machine. The only negative point I've found? The fact that the sewing machine extension table is see-through so I can't hide all my clutter under it as I used to on my old machine! Then again, I've already found myself tidying up around my machine so that the clutter doesn't detract from its loveliness, so this is going to have a positive impact on the study-o.

display

And finally, a confession: I do not name my sewing machines. I know, this will probably go right against the grain (ahem) for a great many stitchy types, but I have my reasons. I mean, I struggle to remember and call my three children by the correct names at the best of times, so it would be a bit of a kick in the teeth for them if I was suddenly on first name terms with my sewing machine!


Working together with Janome.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Oooh you lucky thing! Enjoy it. Especially the shiny red buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't name mine either! Have fun with it :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats one fabulous new machine, your going to have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh lovely. I have a much older version of that, and I love it. !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, I have sewing machine envy. Not just all those stitches, but look how clean and dust-ball free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh ... how envious am I! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...